Lindsay sharpening system

J.B.

Looking for some feedback on the Lindsay sharpening system and does anyone have a used set for sale? Thanks!
Jeff

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Jeff,
I have used the Lindsay system for about five years. It works as it is intended to. Very controlled. BUT almost zero flexibility in creating a custom geometry. My GRS system on the other hand does allow for that and some. As for finding a used set I don't think I've seen one for sale in awhile. They normally show up when a new engraver gives-up and sells all of their equipment.

Donny

JackJellies

I am a big fan of the system. I am pretty new and don't use custom configurations, at least yet. So the templates are a super time saver and help me to keep consistent tips.

Well worth the new price. If you find used snap them up.

J.B.

Thanks guys!
Do you think I need to purchase the ceramic stone ? Will the 2000 grit give a high enough polish? I already own hard leather + diamond spray. Will the 2000 + diamond leather work or is that too big of a jump? I normally used 1200 to ceramic on the power hone then diamond leather.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It really depends on what you plan to engrave. The 2000 grit stone is more than enough for engraving practice plates and steel items. If you are doing bright cutting and jewelry work the diamond spray and ceramic is the way to go.

For a beginner, the detailing and universal templates are the only ones I'd buy.

Realistically though the dual angle fixture is really the best sharpen jig for the money. I wouldn't trade mine for anything. I personally think it's the best system on the market.

I also think a traditional heel is a better choice for a beginner than the parallel heel. I started with this, then went to a parallel heel, and am now back to a traditional small heel. I like it best.

BTW, you can sharpen the Lindsay geometry on a dual angle if you're so inclined. Steve willingly shares the geometry necessary to yield the point. It's somewhere on his site.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I always say it like this:

The Lindsay system is nearly foolproof (trust me, I've proven it isn't). If you're on your own it's the one I recommend because it's pretty darn easy to get up and going getting correct points with it.

The GRS system is, as noted, infinitely flexible. You can make any point you can figure out how to make. That's the blessing and the curse. If you have someone who knows how to use the Dual Angle and can take the hour or two to teach you how to use it, it's the best buy because it's all you need (well, obviously you need hones and blanks).

I'm lucky enough to have both systems and I use them both. I use Lindsay based points on my GRS handpieces and 'standard' points in my Lindsay. What works is what matters and as various folks on here have demonstrated, amazing work can be - and has been - done with a rock for a vise, a stick for a tapping hammer, and a cement nail hand sharpened for a graver.

Oh - and Steve now has a nifty little dual angle template widget. You can dial in any rotational angle you want but it's a little trickier to get the 'nod' angle of your choice. You have to adjust how far the blank sticks out. There's a table giving you a lot of angles based on which of the two holes you use and which edge you're using for the base. I've got it, I've played with it. It's fun and for travel it's a heck of a lot more compact. Then again, my collection of templates is actually larger than my Dual Angle fixture....

Andrew Biggs

If you have someone who knows how to use the Dual Angle and can take the hour or two to teach you how to use it,
Hi Steve.

I have to disagree with you. You do not need someone to show you how to use it. It is not a complicated piece of kit that requires one on one instruction. Anyone that can add and subtract can figure it out..............Read the instructions that come with it. Apply the same logic to any angle that you want.

It's simple. :)

Cheers
Andrew

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
About the only thing complicated about the Dual Angle fixture is remembering what angles apply to what tools. I give out at my GRS classes a sharpening chart which has the different settings for some of the tool gyometries and even blank spaces for different grinds. You got one KC when you took my class years ago. I have mine posted on the wall by my sharpening set up so my feeble mind does not get confused or forget. It's a quick double check reference for me. The old saying from my woodshop teaching days applies here as well with whatever system you use......."measure twice, cut once. No matter how many times you cut it it will still be too short."

J.B.

Well I had the dual angle fixture when I had my power hone. It was easy to use and loved it. My budget now doesn't have room for another power hone and fixture. So the ceramic stone will be necessary after the 2000 stone (and before the diamond sprayed leather) for bright cutting?

mrthe

Yes you will need it for bright cut,if you use carbaltx or cmax gravers you will need too diamond spray in 50.000 grit and some piece of leather too

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marty - mine copy is still kept right by my Powerhone.

Andrew - It's not that it's hard to work the Dual Angle fixture, the trick is knowing what a properly shaped graver looks like and how to get there starting from a blank. I actually think all you really need is one good video - and I haven't watched Sam's sharpening video which probably does all you need.

Sponsors