Question: turntable bearing

Ste82

Elite Cafe Member
Hi guys,
I'm planning to build an homemade turntable, my problem is to choose the right type of bearing in order to avoid any play, if ball bearing, needle bearing or maybe some kind I do not know.
I saw some ball bearings but they had a bit of axial play, I'm worried because it would cost me a bit and I have to choose the right bearing at first shot!
thank you all for any suggestion!
Stefano.

mrthe

Stefano i have build my own from a Shimpo turntable and fixed it directly to a shelf vise, the shimpo are nice cast iron turntables but have a very little wobble,in this way i have improved it a lot,not better than the GRS one but turn smooth and is heavy

[video=youtube;grnwz9Wx5VA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grnwz9Wx5VA[/video]

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Paolo

Thanks for the video, a picture speaks a thousand words, a video must be a million then.

Saludos,

Carlos

Last edited:

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Lee Valley tools sells lazy susan bearings.These are ball bearings in a cast aluminum race.They sell for less than $25.00. Mount it to a round piece of melamine covered particle board or corian and you have a pretty decent turntable for pretty cheap.
Cheers
Don

Ste82

Elite Cafe Member
thank you all...
Paolo i have a turntable like the shimpo it is good, but i have in mind a custom made and very precise turntable.
i don't think it could be cheap but i really hate the wobbling under the scope! ;)

cropduster

Elite Cafe Member
Mr. Nardelli - I understand your desire for a bearing recommendation. However, a fair amount of additional info would be required, such as rotational speed ranges, allowable axial and radial movement, weight load and more - Prior to my retiring, I had used Vestil manufacturing for many industrial applications and found them to be quite knowledgeable. If you would like to look over their informational / specification / selection criteria / info, their website is www.vestilmfg.com I do hope this helps your selection process - best of luck to you.

Latest posts

Sponsors