Marlin Model 1894 Cowboy engravability

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a S & W 44 Special 3rd model purchased in 46 by my dad that has had a half dozen bullets shot through it. There is a pair and the other went to my brother. I would like to engrave it and a lever gun in the same caliber. I have read up quit a bit on feed problems with special rounds. It seems that the Marlin is the best choice as it is designed to fire either the 44 mag or the special.
When reading the specs on the Marlin the adds talk about the finish " tough Mar-Shield® finish; blued steel fore-end cap." Does anyone have experience with this rifle as to finish removal and engravability?

Thanks for your input in advance- Fred

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The older original Marlin Cowboy Limited's have a blued barrel and receiver. And, they are some of the best shooting rifles ever made. I've shot one in Cowboy Action Shooting since they came out and have put thousands of rounds through it with not one jam or malfunction. The latest Remington made Marlin's aren't very well made in comparison and most people have an experienced gunsmith work them over before they can use them. I'd suggest finding one of the older models.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Doc, How old of a rifle should I be looking for?

I bought mine when they first came out in 1996. My son found a NIB one for himself in 2002. The first ones had checkered stocks and then they made a bunch of them with smooth stocks. All of the early ones were blued steel and were known as the 1894CB Cowboy Limited. They have a 24 inch octagon barrel and it's stamped just ahead of the receiver with a small "JM". The Remington Marlins (a.k.a. "Remlin's") are junk. There's no other good way of saying it.

Here's what the early ones look like:
Marlin1894CB.jpg

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Found one new on gunbroker NIB (no box) only the test firing done (between 3 and 12 cartridges). The current bid is $860 with a buy it now at $1050. Thinking hard about it. Thanks Doc. Still wonder how it will cut. Also big difference in the style of the S & W and lever action. Going to take some imagination to tie the styles together. Fred

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The current bid is $860 with a buy it now at $1050.

They are in high demand and short supply so the price keeps creeping up as time goes on. I paid $480.00 for mine back in 1996. Hamburger wasn't over $5.00 per pound then either. :)

That buy it now price isn't out of line these days. I've seen them go for a lot more.

mm6mm6

I like how you think! I had my S&W 624 .44 Special engraved with 75% coverage American Scroll by Michael Gouse (www.mtart.com) and then I had my Marlin 1894 .44 Magnum engraved with American Scroll by him as well. My Marlin is a 1980's version without the cross bolt safety. I had Turnbull Manufacturing remove the "warning" on the barrel and reblue the barrel and magazine tube and then case harden the frame and lever after the engraving. Turnbull can engrave your Marlin without the need to refinish the blue. I just decided to have the "warning" removed and the case hardening done a couple years after I had the rifle engraved.

I would strongly suggest finding a pre-Remington (Cerberus) owned Marlin. Search around on Gunbroker for a pre-safety .44 Magnum 1894, unless you're really stuck on having a Cowboy model. I have two .44 Magnum 1894 Marlins and both feed .44 Specials flawlessly without any special work being done on them.

Nothing quite like a .44 special revolver, lever gun combo. Your S&W sure sounds neat. That's a fairly serious collectible.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for sharing your weapons with me. The are real beauties. Love Turnbull's work at color case hardening. Not really stuck on the Cowboy model just Marlin. There is such a slight difference in the cartridge length but sure seems to cause feeding problems with other brands. Have read a lot about doing special hand loads to get the specials to feed properly etc. I do hand load but the lever gun jams is something I just don't want to deal with. Thanks for the photos and information-will defiantly find pre Remington in which ever model I settle on. I am not a cowboy action shooter (just don't need to get involved in anymore side tracts). Thanks again Fred

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fred,

The Mar-Shield® is the finish on the wood, not the metal.

Regarding your S&W third model .44 sp., given the apparently high condition you describe, I believe that engraving it at this point will actually reduce its collector value, regardless of how nicely it is engraved. Collectors of classic American guns are fanatic about original condition. Since it is a family gun the monetary value may be of no interest to you since your engraving will add family provenance to the gun.

Cheers,
Roger

Latest posts

Sponsors