butterfly wing pendant.

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
304 ss . had fun with this one. The tiny oblongs gave me a challenge . no so easy with no scope. Lol. Hope y'all like it. Comments welcomed

Attachments

• IMG_20140522_214203_071-1.jpg
    IMG_20140522_214203_071-1.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 209

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ooohhh I like it, this is much more interesting then a complete butterfly.
How did you achieve the structire of the big ovals?
Thanks for showing.

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
I freehand drew the pattern with a scribe. I got the idea when I found a wing hanging from m a spider web and said huh, that would make a neat pendant. So I had a design reference to go by. The texture on the big ovals I got with a diamond dental bur put in s pin vise then dragged . heat colored as well.

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
Those small oblongs look good to the naked eye. How do you get the different colors using heat? I've seen reference to heat coloring in other posts, but haven't seen a description of how it is done. Thanks for sharing.
Don

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Step process, in heat coloring. Different metals act different when heat coloring . always get your dark colors first. Then polish the oxidation off the parts you want a lighter color then reheat. Continue the steps until the lightest color is achieved. Many ways to heat color . heat ovens, torch , etc. Here is the basic temp guide to get did colors. Texture also plays a big roll in how the color is displayed. I have many hours of experimental coloring effects , heat coloring can add some neat effects on some projects.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-08-04-01-58-19-1.png
    Screenshot_2013-08-04-01-58-19-1.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 174

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
thanks for showing the pendant-- does the chart work for most metals ? or just those containing iron ?

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
From my experience the chart works well with metals containing iron. I have played with copper , brass but they are finicky about the heat coloring. As far as any silver base metals... No clue

Latest posts

Sponsors