Floor mats?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
When I worked for New Orleans Arms Co. we had 1/2" thick rubber floor mats at all the workbenches. It helped with fatigue and could save gun parts from damage should they hit the floor.

I'm in the process of re-doing my studio and am curious to know what others are using for floor mats. I work sitting down so I would need mats that a chair can roll on and off of. I should add that my concrete floor will have an epoxy finish on it, so that'll be slightly better than raw concrete, but I still think rubber mats are important.

What do you guys think?

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've seen some very nice roll on concrete floor coatings that are marketed on the custom car shows such as My Classic Car. They not only look better than epoxy, perform and last better, but will seal and conceal cracks, etc. You may wish to look into it here: U Coat It

Sam

Staff member
I've seen some very nice roll on concrete floor coatings that are marketed on the custom car shows such as My Classic Car. They not only look better than epoxy, perform and last better, but will seal and conceal cracks, etc. You may wish to look into it here: U Coat It

Those look great, Doc. I'm going to have mine acid stained and scored for more of an old-world look.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Horse stall mats work great. I have one at my lathe and mill. :thumbsup:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use horse stall pads as well in the shop. They make a similar pad for shower rooms with a tapered edge which might be better for a rolling chair. The ones I remember seeing were about 4 by 6 feet.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I got these from Harbor Freight some time ago. They assemble in 1 foot squares. I never liked them under the engraving bench as the chair never moved well.

Attachments

• shop1.jpg
    shop1.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 336

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ray, What's that white out the windows? I haven't seen that in years and years! Ah to write my name in the snow one more time before the shovels take away my opportunit--,

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
I bought some rubber mats from Home Depot for use at my work bench. I also put one in front of my gun safe. It has saved me from tragedy a few times and the cost is minimal.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ah to write my name in the snow one more time before the shovels take away my opportunit--,

As we say up here in the Frozen Northlands...

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, that is snow which we seem to have from October to May anymore!!! I will make a disclaimer this photo was snapped JUST after I refurbished things and it is far from that clean now.. Tim, the lathe is an old Atlas 10 x 42 my dad bought with his WWII bonus. There is a little Atlas horizontal mill just across from it as well. Really handy for gun stuff. Wish I had a big vertical sometimes however.

Sam

Staff member
Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

Rex: That's a really nice workshop you have there!

Brant

Elite Cafe Member
Sam,

I worked in a shop years ago that did work for phosphate mine companies and we got rubber conveyor belt cast-offs from repair work. These were nice under foot, but still stiff enough for chairs to roll on.

Check around locally and you may be able to find something.

Brant

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
Sam:
I'll second Rex's inputs after working the same issue in multiple machine shops. Rolling or non-rolling is the key decision point.
Soft style - great antifatigue, hard to roll on. I prefer the hard car/garage interlocking mats if I've got rolling stock (in this case a chair) on them. They aren't as good for fatigue, but are much better than concrete.
A middle ground might be a hand cut insert of softer material into the harder material, or have two separate stations, one for standing and one for sitting.

Enjoy the stained concrete. An eye-popper is to score a pattern into the floor w/ a 1/8” or ¼” diamond wheel, then lay brass ribbon into the cut. Fill the cut with slow cure epoxy to lock the ribbon in. The epoxy also helps keeping dirt out of the cut when you clean the floor.

A larger version of your monogram done like this would be first rate.

Dan

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
years ago i scored a large quantity of bluish-grey low cut pile commercial carpet from a big office renovation project- for the low, low price of hauling it away. it's much more comfortable than concrete.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Last time I redid my shop, maybe 12 years ago? - I went with linoleum tile over the existing concrete flooring.

You spend an inordinate amount of time on your knees in this business - looking for parts, springs, stones or that tiny piece you just spent 5 hours fabricating.

So, unless that concrete has a VERY smooth finish, you will wear more holes in the knees of yer Levis (or designer jeans) than you will sliding over much smoother linoleum...

Plus, if you have ever dropped a tray full of high priced customers jobs (let alone your own) - and you will, if you live long enough - you'll know why bare concrete can be very expensive in the long run...

Brian

PS - Always keep at least TWO working flashlights in your shop, a coupla those long reach parts grabbers (both claw & magnetic) and a coathanger wire with double stick tape on one end to get around those corners and between the benches and the walls.

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
Good advice Brian. The epoxy topcoat they use over the staining is pretty smooth so I think I'm good there. I did consider linoleum tiles though. Bare concrete...been there done that!

Latest posts

Sponsors