Floor mats?

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Always keep at least TWO working flashlights in your shop, a coupla those long reach parts grabbers (both claw & magnetic) and a coathanger wire with double stick tape on one end to get around those corners.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt! :)

Speaking of parts grabbers... this one is the best I've ever found anywhere:
Ettore 49036 Grip 'n Grab

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In the old days a lot of fabrication shops used wooden grates to stand on. The gold and silver fell through to the floor below. The floor might only be cleaned once a year for metal collection. That is why they are called sweeps.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
much of my equipment is on wheels, to allow positioning where needed. all on an old hardwood oak floor. perfect for rolling, scooting my chair around, and nicely, has just a bit of "give" that gives a better feel to my feet. a bit more comfortable than solid concrete.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
One more story... not as good maybe as the elephant headpiece or sharpening gravers with potatoes, but close...

In one of my incarnations I had a retail jewelry store. My partner and I did all the benchwork.

Between us, we probably made 75% of what we sold in our showcases...

It kinda became a custom for us to buy kinda joke stuff for each other at Christmas. (Certainly neither of us needed or wanted jewelry)

So, after a coupla years of doing this, I had pretty much run out of funny ideas...

I just happened to be in a Harbor Freight store on Christmas Eve.

Found the perfect Christmas gift for any jeweler!

A pair of kneepads and one of those headlamp flashlights that leave your hands free. (to crawl around under the bench)

B.

Over the years since, I have given that Christmas gift to dozens of jeweler friends. A "useful" joke...

Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I actually put those under counter lights under the work benches. It isn't as much of a deal for engraving but working on guns there always seems to be a lot of time on your hands and knees.

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
I get the interlocking 2' square mats that are sold for exercise rooms and gyms. They come in packs of 4 or 5 at hardware stores, target, and I've seen them in woodworking stores.

Latest posts

Sponsors