engraving seeds

metalterp

I hope I am in the correct area of this site. I want to learn how to engrave with a electric tool, on a sea bean. These are rather large seeds from the tropics, maybe 1 and 1/2" and larger diameter.

Also, can I do this without a huge investment in an engraving tool? Is there a thread here that talks about the pros and cons of different small power engraver?

thank you,
brenda

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i doubt that many of the members have ever engraved such an item. with a better description of the properties of the seed, perhaps meaningful advice could be given. properties such as hardness, color, grain, etc would be helpful. can you send a foto of such a seed ? till we would know more, i would be reluctant to advise any tool. thanks for inquiring

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Did a search on the sea bean. Definitely interesting subject. I was totally unaware of their existence. It looks to me that they should be able to be cut with push gravers, scrimshaw needles, or rotary tools. I do not believe you need any air assist to decorate them. The greatest challenge will be in holding them. I think sandbag method will bee most effective as even though they are tough little buggers, having endured the rigors of ocean travel they may be easily damaged by adhesives and thermal lock type products. The cutting qualities will vary depending on which kind of plant they come from. Coloring will also take a bit of experimentation. Good luck on your endeavor. Fred

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I've not engraved 'em, but I have inlaid 'em with silver - and once with gold. Then set stones in the metal. Drilled 'em for fancy bails too.

Used a high speed rotary tool and some hand gravers as I recall.

There was a shop in southern CA many years ago that specialized in "odd" jewelry that used to send me those jobs.

Another casualty of the "depression/recession"...

Brian

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors