Question: Bronze silver plated booties

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello everyone,

I have a client that wants me to do some lettering on these booties there bronze and silver plated what do you guys recommend is there any possibility of the silver flaking off.

Thanks for your help

uploadfromtaptalk1400107126847.jpg

Saludos,

Carlos

Andrew Biggs

Yes, there is every possibility of the silver flaking off. If indeed it is silver plating ????

But by how much and will it be noticeable is something you won't know till you try.

One way to help alleviate the problem is to use a parallel heel as it cuts a little cleaner than a conventional one. And make sure it is razor sharp.

Something else to consider is the "bronze" underneath. Being cast it will be a real mixed bag to cut.

If you go ahead with it.........always tell the client of the risks involved so there is no comeback on you.

At that price if it all turns to custard you can always replace them and chalk it up to experience :)

Good luck
Andrew

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the old style "bronzed booties" were just that-- the booties were coated with some sort of conductive material. when dry, they were simply electroplated. i'd not do this, unless you have a very understanding client. why not make a nice walnut base & just add an engraved plate ? if these were done as i think, you'd find the booty leather to be most unsupportive of the plating when you set a graver to it.

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think this is not an item to cut with a graver, I would rather go for machine engraving with that you don't cut material away but only moves it aside with the diamond point.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I don't engrave plated items unless it's something extra special and the customer accepts full responsibility with me getting paid regardless of outcome.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you everyone for your advice, I'll just have to pass unless they agree to Sam's terms.

Gracias Amigos

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
There are lots of ways to lose money in this business and I tend to shy away from high-risk jobs. I recently returned a gold lapel pin to a customer. It was extremely thin, flexible, awkward to hold, etc. My instincts told me to avoid the job so I sent it back. I'm sure someone out there will engrave it, and maybe I would have 25 years ago when I was fearless young engraver.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
this was a plated cigar chopper i did a drag job on some time ago. the guy accepted responsibility. this was the outcome
to boot, or not to boot, that is the question !

Attachments

• plated item.jpg
    plated item.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors