practice plates?

J.B.

Hi guys!
Just curious where you guys get your practice plates. Looking for steel, half hard brass, brass or copper. Can't find any at a reasonable price.
Thanks!
Jeff

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Jeff,I get my practice plates from GRS,steel,copper and brass good prices. J.J.

Andrew Biggs

GRS sells 2x2 mild steel practice plate in bundles. These are prepped and ready to go.

If you are using a air assist tool then this is what I would recommend that you start out with. Copper and brass is a bit too soft and ideally you want some resistance to the tool as this will help you feel your way.

Beware of scrap metal parts as they can be a real mixed bag and you don't know what you are getting. It can be more of a hinderance than a help..........You can always try a local engineering shop to cut some sheet metal up for you. But if you go that way then make sure you spend time prepping the plate by sanding the plate to an engraving finish.

Engraving is a total process from start to finish, not just cutting metal. Prepping helps you focus in on what you are doing and makes you concentrate otherwise it's just to easy to randomly cut plates with no purpose in mind. In the end, that will get you nowhere.

As you develop tool control and some design ability then I would recommend that you move onto other engravable items that GRS sells like side plates etc etc. This will teach you to design and work with different shapes other than squares.

Whatever you do.........do not move onto guns or anything till you have tool control and design ability. Otherwise you will butcher them. Stick with small achievable projects that advance your abilities.

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've bought mine from Tira Mitchells. . Great shipping price I belive I paid under 6 bucks

Saludos,

Carlos

Latest posts

Sponsors