Help, please: Camera Afficiondos

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There seem to be a lot of knowledgeable camera folks on the forum. Perhaps one of you can help me. I have one of the first Minolta Maxxum 7000's, along with 5 lenses, filters, remote flash unit, etc. I think the last time I used it was back in 99 when we went on a cruise.

It occurs to me that there must be digital camera bodies that will accept the above, allowing me to resurrect them. Does anyone know?

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had a similar situation with my Canon SLR, thinking I could get a digital camera body and use my attachments. Wrong! Nothing fits the digital camera. Minolta might be different, but I doubt it. Anyone want a great SLR system cheap?

Bill

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use lenses from my old Canon SLR on my Canon 40D it's the same fitting, there are converters for other makes but not all.

Phil

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Your Maxxum lenses should be compatible with the Sony Alpha series. Minolta sold the camera section to Konica, who then sold it to Sony. I'm using lenses bought with my M9 on my a900.

As usual with these things, the best way to be sure is to check. If you can take your favorite lens to somewhere you can mount it on the body and take a few test shots you'll know for sure. You could also check with some of the online groups. I know there's a Yahoo one for Minolta and I'm sure someone there knows.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use lenses from my old Canon SLR on my Canon 40D it's the same fitting, there are converters for other makes but not all.

My new camera is the Canon Rebel EOS and everything is electronic with the lenses, hence my regular camera lenses won't fit. Should have researched further, but now I have a whole bagful of camera parts that only work on regular SLR's not DSLR's. Expensive lesson.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I sold the last of my film bodies and old manual focus lenses about 10 years ago. The latest gear is fabulous by comparison.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam,
None of the Maxxum lenses are manual, though they can be if you override the various programs built in. The reason I originally bought them was because they were autofocus lenses. I used to do a lot of wildlife photography and you could just point and shoot at moving animals and it was fast enough to stop the blades on a helicopter.

Sam

Staff member
This doesn't have much to do with this with thread, but here's a shot of Abigail I took yesterday. Natural light in our living room. Canon 5DMII, 70-200 f2.8L IS @ f2.8.

abigail_IMG_5275-sm.jpg

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i traded all my old Mamiya RB67 medium format eqpt for my website work a few years ago. briefly considered getting a digital back for it, but IIRC, the 'cheap, lo-res' models were $8-9,000.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i traded all my old Mamiya RB67 medium format eqpt for my website work a few years ago. briefly considered getting a digital back for it, but IIRC, the 'cheap, lo-res' models were $8-9,000.

I sold all my RB67 stuff years ago and went to Canon DSLR's. I've never regretted it. I can control the images in ways we could never have dreamed of in the old chemical image days. I just got a new Canon 6D body recently and love it. :)

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have had a few digital form point and click to the $800 range SRL cameras. I also have nice 35 mm equipment and had always thought that my cannon lenses would be interchangeable with a digital body. The camera guy says no and I checked around on the value of some of my lenses on ebay. I think I have the opportunity to really upgrade my 35 mm stuff for a penny on the dollar which I enjoyed using in the first place. Have the dark room equipment for black and white and can upgrade to color again for a penny on the dollar. I will continue to use my digital when it seems appropriate and film when that seems appropriate but I am going to buy some new 33 mm toys that were once way out of my wallets capability. Fred

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think I have the opportunity to really upgrade my 35 mm stuff for a penny on the dollar which I enjoyed using in the first place.

I had to do a search after reading that to see if 35mm film is still being sold. I was surprised it is available. As long as the supplies are available and you like to do it... go for it. A friend of mine likes to make tin type images with the Collodion Process too. :)

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doc, That's funny about the tin type- I used to have a studio of shorts in Ouray Colorado. We did kid pictures of kids on various ponies with customs of the old west. Even had a miniature burro complete with pack saddle loaded (styrophom filler) with gold pan, pick and shovel and kid costumes. Made a lot of money one summer. Have a friend, retired school teacher doing it now up at the Cumberland Gap. She clearing about 50k per year and using digital sepia She used to do it at the mall parking lots in Atlanta every summer. I bought my farm from them Fred

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't know much about compatibility of the Minolta Maxxum 7000's and digital bodies.

I just want to make clear that analog photography is not dead.
In fact it is making a come back and I even consider buying a analog CONTAX like my oldest son, a proff. photographer.
He offers analog wedding photography as an extra with success. Having your photos on film seems to make a come back, especially for high quality photographs. He also still uses my dad's Hasselblad.
When choosing the right 35 mm film, you will need a lot of PS manipulation to come close to what comes right out a professional analog camera.

So thinking film is dead is as stupid as thinking all engraving is done by a laser

Even my oldest granddaughter still uses my old Pentax and 35mm film.

BTW, the CONTAX is made out from Titaium, so I could engrave one.

arnaud

Last edited:

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
So thinking film is dead is as stupid as thinking all engraving is done by a laser

I guess I'm stupid Arnaud. Outside of a few die-hards, I really do think film is pretty much dead. I can do things in Photoshop I couldn't have dreamed of doing in the dark room. And, I don't have to dedicate a special room to do it in. The high end Canon DSLR's combined with the Canon L lenses can't be beat as far as I can see it. I do remember clearly how each click of the shutter with a Mamiya RB67 and 120 portrait film, it was costing me $1.50 per shot. It has to be a lot more than that now. Most of the professionals that shoot film will still scan the negatives to take advantage of the digital pro labs. The guy that trained me to shoot weddings back in the 70's, Bill Stockwell, Jr. shoots digital. Like I said before... there are still guys making tin types too. :)

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doc, the way it is done now a days when using film, is you sent the film to a professional studio who do the film and also make you a Hi Res scan they sent directly by Internet.
So you not really need a dark room, all is done in PS. But you start with a recording on a negative on celluloid.
Every film brand and type of film has its own characteristic. PS has some plugin for that purpose.

And I'm not saying digital photography is history, of course not. But film is making a come back in Art Photography, not that much on Holiday snapshots. :)

One other advantage using film is that you will think twice before making a shot. That as you have only 32 exposures on one film.

arnaud

Sam

Staff member
I have a pro photographer friend who has been really pursuing and shooting with 4x5 Polaroid b&w film. So yes, there does seem to be some fresh interest in film photography. No one has been able to convince me of large enough advantages to go back to film, so I'm quite happy with my digital work.

I might engrave by hand-push or hammer & chisel once in awhile for fun :)