HELP... Glensteel gravers question

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
I got the Glensteel mainly because the fit the handle set I bought and they are touted as "universal", which appeals to me as a beginner but the GRS catalog included with my order most certainly will lead to a lot of experimentation with handles like the QC set and the like. I realize that going the hand push route steepens the learning curve considerably but I feel like the benefits are worth it. I do eventually plan to step up to the pneumatic system but there is something about doing it the old fashioned way (up to a point, anyway) that appeals strongly to me.

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
Bluetickhound: Have you ever considered using a hammer to drive the chisel. I started out that way some 30 years ago. You will find that it will make it a lot easier to learn basic engraving technics , and will give you a lot more confidence. When you master hammer and chisel then powered engraving will come a lot easier. Eventually you will need to learn to use a hand pushed burin but why fly like the Wright brothers when you can fly in an F-16, If you catch my meaning.

Bluetickhound

Elite Cafe Member
I hear you and I do plan to try H&C but until yesterday I'd never so much as held a graver in my hand... Right now I want to get the feel of it and make consistent straight lines, curves and S-cuts. I'd like to find some instruction in the Atlanta area and I believe there is a true master in the Chattanooga area... Need to look that guy up!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the reply and info!

I am planning on purchasing a power hone package from GRS. It is expensive for a beginner but from what I've read and from what I've gleaned from reading, is that to be successful in engraving, having a correctly sharpened graver can help immensely. If I have no talent or skill for engraving I can always sell the hone anyways.

Thanks all!
to me, the value lies in the fact that each time you resharpen, you get the same geometry- time after time. this is most important, as the "feel" of a graver is very important to a beginner.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
I got the Glensteel mainly because the fit the handle set I bought and they are touted as "universal", which appeals to me as a beginner but the GRS catalog included with my order most certainly will lead to a lot of experimentation with handles like the QC set and the like. I realize that going the hand push route steepens the learning curve considerably but I feel like the benefits are worth it. I do eventually plan to step up to the pneumatic system but there is something about doing it the old fashioned way (up to a point, anyway) that appeals strongly to me.
if i were to teach, i'd insist on the student learning to push, and do h&c first. that, along with the basics of drawing. learning this would assure good results if the student then decided to go with the power toys. jm2cw

Sponsors