Magnification

J.B.

Hello engravers!

I am just curious what type of magnification you all use.

I have a GRS microball and a bausch and lomb scope but the field of view is so small that every time i turn the ball I have to re-zoom. The $2000 meiji's are not in my price range.

Any recommendations greatly welcomed! And please PM me if you have 1 for sale!

Thanks!

Jeff

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You need a .5 Barlow lens, added to your scope if you have one

Saludos,

Carlos

Last edited:

don hicks

Elite Cafe Member
I picked up a Unitron ZSB on ebay with 10X lenses, just by luck a guy had a .5 Barlow lens for it at the same time. I won the Barlow lens before the bidding was over on the Unitron, but for the $9.95 cost I took the chance,LOL. I'm really happy with the setup and the overall cost

J.B.

Thanks guys! Any other recommendations on microscopes? I have the bausch and lomb at work but need 1 for home. Would like it to be as cheap as possible but effective. Will be used primarily for engraving.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you can find some ferocious bargains on used scopes on ebay. take some time. don't buy the first thing you see. by taking your time, you'll soon get a "fix" on prices. make sure you buy a zoom scope. also that the dealer allows returns.

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
My first microscope was a cheap Olympus SZ, which I picked up from a junk shop for... £10!!!
The glass was absolutely filthy, so I stripped and cleaned it (not recommending this, but as it was so cheap, I thought it was worth the risk) and it served me very well for a couple of years, before investing in a Meiji.

Mine was the standard one, and not the Trinoc in the pic.

Sometime later, I was watching one of Lynton McKenzie's engraving videos, and noticed he was using the same one I had!

Optics have moved on quite a bit since this one (or at least better glass is out there now), and I'm not sure if this one is any better than what you have already, but as a starter microscope, it was pretty acceptable for me.

However, a really good microscope is probably one of the most important things you 'should' invest money into as soon as possible. Better optics, and the ability to spend how ever many hours, sat at the bench, with no eye strain, is worth every penny, if you're in it for the long haul.

Cheers,
Jo

Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A scope is nice and I use mine most of the time BUT my eyes are old. You can really get into over shading and nit picky engraving using one. Engraving is done to be viewed with the naked eye not microscopic examination. Most is actually seen at arms length. There are exceptions to this like photo realistic representation and the like but generally arms length. Some things like motorcycle parts are engraved to be seen from curb side, say 5 t0 10 feet. The scope has a tendency to encourage more lines. each line cost time and time is.. Fred

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
That's a very good point you make Fred, and it's very true, a microscope is your best friend, but it can be your enemy too, because it allows you to add too much detail, which the naked eye cannot see.

Jo

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
, but it can be your enemy too, because it allows you to add too much detail, which the naked eye cannot see.

Jo

Indeed a very good point, its often hard to be satisfied and many times I think I made a mess out of it but watching it with the naked eye it seems not that bad....

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A few years ago someone posted a picture of an engraver from the early days of modern engraving times in the English gun trade who was using a loop and had a crystal bowl of clear liquid (I assume water) with a candle placed behind it and was using that as a prism to direct the light to his engraving. As I recall, and am an old man who's memory influenced by drugs, believe it was a photo of Harry Kell . He was Ken Hunts teacher and an influence on Marcus Hunts work either directly or indirectly. Lost the copy I had on my PC when power surge took it all away. Any of you other older forum members, original members still have that picture?

Latest posts

Sponsors