Garage News: Buffaloes and Leopards

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The elk floorplate is one I did a number of years ago and now the owner has ordered another gun with African animals.

Attachments

• DSCF3372 - Copy.jpg
    DSCF3372 - Copy.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 430
  • DSC_0126.jpg
    DSC_0126.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 428
  • DSC_0127 - Copy.jpg
    DSC_0127 - Copy.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 428

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I've always loved the look of that lined background, but I've been too chicken to try it.

Todd

ETHELBERT

Elite Cafe Member
I love this, everthing about it. How in the world did you do that leopard? Fanfreak'ntastic....is it the backround that makes it look like it is halogramish or what.....WOW...Thank you for posting

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Tired of reading positive feedback? Maybe not but.... I love all the scenes, they are astounding, my disappointment if for the surrounding ornamentation, especially around the leopard which is not to say that I am overwhelm with the one on the buffalo floor-plate.
The ornamentation around the leopard look cheap and unfinished, I think it detract from the beautiful inlay and create an undesirable contrast, almost if two engravers had work on the piece.
As for the floor-plate I will have the same complaint, a great game scene, obviously very elaborate and perfectly executed with a surrounding not in keeping with the quality of the scene.
By contrast the elk floor-plate is better balance, both the ornamentation and the game scene married perfectly. The richness of one accentuate the beauty of the other, it look like one, not like the juxtaposition of two separate elements.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The holgraphic effect as it may be was more serendipity than conscious effort. It seems to be that way through a combination of a higher polish in the surrounding metal and the polishing and shading of the leopard.

Thierry- good comments. The grip cap is not done but with your observations in mind I will revisit it and do what I can at this point. It's often surprising how different an engraving looks when magnified on a computer screen.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Drawing class is on if a few more sign up. You are welcome to join.

Latest posts

Sponsors