Te Ika a Maui

Andrew Biggs

Side one features the Demi God, Maui, lying in his waka (canoe) with the waves crashing all around him. The front of the waka has a carved figure with the tongue forming a loop to become the hook (made from the jawbone of his grandmother) that catches the North Island known as Te Ika a Maui. (The fish of Maui)

It is generally accepted that the waka was the South Island of New Zealand otherwise known as Te Wai Pounamu (The waters of greenstone)

Side two shows Te Ika a Maui caught on the fish hook and rising out of the waves.

It’s interesting to note that the names Te Ika a Maui and Te Wai Pounamu were only formally recognised and passed into legislation late last year even though Maori have recognised the names for hundreds of years. So now they will be on all future maps of New Zealand. They are certainly a lot more exotic and interesting names than North and South Island :)

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• Te-Ika-a-Maui-1.jpg
    Te-Ika-a-Maui-1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 282
  • Te-Ika-a-Maui-2.jpg
    Te-Ika-a-Maui-2.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 277

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello, Andrew,

Another splendid knife, choosing your theme from the deep well of New Zealand's ancient and ongoing mythology, so rich in symbolism. Beautifully designed and cut, with just a dash of gold. Congratulations!

I am curious to know if these knives, or high def pictures thereof have been shown in any of the country's Mauri related art shows? I admire the way you are highlighting the indigenous peoples' traditions. Perhaps we will come across some of the All Blacks team sharpening their pencils with Biggs engraved William Henry's, rumour has it, your rugby players can afford such objects. I wish your players would stop trouncing our Scottish players so often, maybe just let us win once in this year of possible Scottish independence, we need all the national pride we can muster this Autumn?

Very inspiring work

Rod

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Great work, Andrew! I especially like the mix of styles. Very interesting indeed and beautifully designed and executed. :clapping: :thumbsup:

santos

Elite Cafe Member
C'est trop beau! It's too beautiful,congratulations Andrew, another great engraving based on maori's legends:thumbsup:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well Mate, you've done it again! Superb design and cutting as usual. I never tire of seeing your wonderful Tribal influenced designs. They may be rooted in Maori design but it's all "Biggs" in their execution. Keep 'em coming!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
uh, that's just beautiful. one never tires seeing your mystical work, as well as reading your stories that go along with the engraving.

Andrew Biggs

Thanks for all the comments and likes.

It was an enjoyable project.

Rod.......Let the Scottish team win at rugby??? Mmmmm that may just be stretching the bounds a bit. The game of rugby is of national importance down here. If the Scotts beat us we would all go into mourning, sack the coach, sack the players and then take to our beds for a week with a dose of the vapours :)

Cheers
Andrew

Sponsors