Old Style Gravermax Vs. Graversmith - Pros and Cons?

J.B.

Unfortunately, these are the only 2 machines in my price range. Could you guys give me the pros and cons to each? I know the old gravermax only goes up to 4000 strokes and the graversmith 8000 strokes. How big of a difference does this make (obviously double), but feeling/accuracy wise? The fact that the graversmith only has 1 port is not an issue for me as I am a beginner in the engraving field. All thoughts greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!
Jeff

ALSO!! IF YOU HAVE EITHER FOR SALE OR KNOW ANYONE THAT DOES, PLEASE PRIVATE MESSAGE ME!

Last edited:

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I don't think you are gonna actually get - nor use the 4,000 on the one or the 8,000 SPM on the other.

Looks pretty on the dial, though!

Other than that, both are workhorses - and I've got one that's been "refurbished" twice now.

Mitch has kits to refurbish the Max and a pedal upgrade that works great!

Simple to do and way cheaper than sending it to the factory to have it done for you.

Brian

Last edited:

J.B.

Thanks for all of the responses!

I've heard that the old style gravermax is much louder than the graversmith. One compared it to a lawn mower vs a refrigerator. Is this true?

And why would I not use the 4000/8000 spm? At what spm do you guys engrave at?

And what is your favorite hand piece? I've watched a lot of GRS videos and have seen the 901 used many times. Pros/cons vs the monarch?

Again, sorry for the "newbie" questions!

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I work 99% of the at or below 2500 spm. Stippling at much slower rate. Have never run my grachmach or my Lindsay classic at full speed Fred

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
J. B.: I think you have the Graver-Max mixed up with the Gravermeister as far as noise level. The Meister has it's own self contained air compressor and is fairly noisy. The Max is only as noisy as your air compressor is.

J.B.

Thanks for the advise guys!

Boy these things are so hard to find used. I really don't want to spend 1200 for a new graversmith/hand piece.

:(

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I had the old style GraverMax with a 901 hand piece and could do anything I wanted with it. That's a good all around hand piece. You can get a smaller one for the light stuff later when you need it.