Help, please: Best beginner book/DVD

jeness

Hi everyone!

I will buy a Lindsay Artisan and a nice vise at the end of May, but I think that I will need something to learn enrgaving from. I have a friend who will help, but he lives far from me, and unfortunately I don't have anyone here in Hungary I could take classes from, so I will need every help I can get.

Is there a good comprehensive book, DVD, or both you would recommend for a total beginner? Please take into consideration that I am in the middle of buying a lot of equipment, so a good cost/benefit ratio is highly desirable :)

As I see it almost any book or DVD related to engraving costs 50-100$ or more, so I would be happy if I could start with one that covers most of the basics, and gets me started.

I will be engraving mostly knives, razors, and smaller stuff, so those which are mainly gun related aren't really the best for me.

Thank you very much for your help in advance, I appreciate it a lot!

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Apparently, you have some funding available for those few items you need. In my opinion, the best thing you could do, in the shortest time, is avail yourself to computer service of some kind even if you had to travel. You sent an inquiry to this forum, so you have computer access somehow. There are a multitude of books out there, and short, and longer, DVD's can be viewed or purchased outright, from various vendors or on-line. What's available in your area, I don't know. From there, you can proceed. In the mean time, that would give you a great exposure to what's out there. Good luck!

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd suggest the jewelry engravers manual, by r Allen hardy. It mostly pertains to engraving lettering. But I figure if you can learn to layout, draw and engrave excellent script lettering in 3 to 10 mm size, you will be able to engrave just about anything. Script and roman lettering will give you the best practice in the two most important graver styles, a standard point graver and a flat graver. A lot of the technical how to engrave from this book is outdated and antiquated, but there's also a wealth of great info on lettering layout and design.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/048628154X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1397984998&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

I know many folks will think this opinion is rubbish, but I've learned more graver control cutting lettering than I could trying to cut scroll or other decorative designs. Everyone knows what letters are supposed to look like, so you really can't fake poorly cut letters. It's either good or garbage. There's not much in between.

Then I'd also suggest Sam Alfano's graver sharpening video so you know how to properly sharpen a graver.

There's also the following list available in the tips archive.

http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?1469-Cafe-Book-List

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
for an economical book, that happens to be good, nothing beats the "art of engraving" by james b. meeks. nis book gives one a look at the many disciplines one must master to become a competent engraver. you're fortunate between this forum and sources like youtube, you can see a variety of procedures in progress. there has never been a better time to lear this fascinating art.

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
There are many books all things to offer. James B Meeks book is a timeless classic, John Schippers is fantastic , Lee Griffiths or Ron Smiths work as well are fine reading and excellent resource books. In deciding on all it is best to ask yourself what type of engraving you are looking to do or at least start with. Sam's DVD's are all good and the subject matter on all may blend to needs. A jeweller can engrave differently than a Colt firearms engraver. There is a huge assortment of you tube tutorials that are great. Steve Lindsay has hours available to be viewed. Sit back and think after looking through this site at those that have posted work and help. Then you will make a better decision on what you need to move ahead. Start with Sam's posts and aids, there is a wealth of goodies there you may not find in a book.
I know this does not answer your question, but many engravers libraries are quite vast. It is tough to pick one book or DVD. Mike Dubber always comes to mind when I hear of places or engravers to learn from. Scott's engrave in is a great place to learn ask questions, talk to the people possibly that wrote the books or made the DVD's.

Good Luck

Eric

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jeness, It is going to be one of the hardest and best things you will every do as an engraver. When a friend or family member ask for a free engraving job,(mag editors will also ask, a lot will tell how much good the publicity will do you and how they can get you the cover)Figure your time, every minute of it and ask that they return the favor in kind. You need a gazebo built and it will take two full weekend days make the trade if you want. Time is money and they wouldn't ask you to give them a few hundred or a thousand because you are family and you have the ability to earn it. Second, if it is free it will have very little value to them. Even mom and pop will think is nice but you just wiped it up. A lesson I learned the hard way, A custom shoeing hammer with easily one hundred hours of prep, design, cutting and adding an appropriate handle left to rust in a tool box, and truck floorboard-Never again.

jeness

Thanks for the advice, I will keep it in mind. I do everything as nicely and precise as I can, it would be a shame if my (hopefully) nice work would be abused or not cared for.