Question: Newbie here

J.Powell

Hello all, I have been a member for awhile and been lurking around the Cafe' admiring the wonderful work and great information you all are so eager to share, thank you! I am looking at all the tools I am going to have to purchase (I have none yet, nor have I engraved before). There is alot of great info on here but I cant seem to find info on the "turn table" one can rest the vise on. Does it really help? As a beginner should I put that on my list of must haves? Thanks for any and all input, I appreciate it.....:biggrin: p.s. Sam, I'm looking forward to meeting you in Kansas in about a week for my first class!!

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
If you are intending buying a microscope, then a turntable will really help. Otherwise you'll constantly be chasing your work around, which is hugely frustrating. Having said that, you could add it to your 'second' list, after buying the absolute essentials.

Jo

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jo is absolutely correct. There are less expensive turn table choices that work just fine. The Woodcrafters sells turn table bearings to build your own. They have them you can put a refrigerator on. the ten or twelve inch size handles 200 lbs. There very smooth. Other choices as well. Fred

J.Powell

I was looking at the Shimpo banding wheel used for clay sculpting. They are mentioned on the Lindsay website and are only about $50.00. Has anyone used these?

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
I've heard of the Shimpos being used quite successfully, but never tried. I think Paolo, or someone else on here uses one and they might chime in when they see this post. I don't know how they behave when the vice is placed right on the edge. Do they topple over?

Having tried a cheap, wooden, food related turntable in the past and now using the GRS turntable, I can definitely see, and feel the difference. My wooden one was a little... wayward! (light and spun too easily) You actually need a little 'heft' with turntables, so there's a little resistance when you turn. (resistance is maybe the wrong word, but you don't want the turntable running away on you)
Hopefully someone else can describe this a bit a little better than I can. (I would blame it on being late at night over here, but it's only 9pm) :thinking:

Jo

Last edited:

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am using this what you call a Shimpo Wheel from the pottery supplies and I am very satisfied with it.
It runs smoothly and what Jo brings up, sometimes it tend to running away on you but knowing that and being prepared you can control it very well.
Beside that, I think when it's becoming really a problem (not in my case) there will be an easy solution for making a brake or give it some kind of resistance.

J.Powell

Great, thanks guys!! For $50.00 for the Shimbo, I dont think I can go wrong,..so its on my list. A long expensive list....lol

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Watch the buy sell here, eBay, Lindsay forum for good used equipment. Since you are going to a class with Sam I will assume GRS. The newest model won't make you a better engraver. Taking a class first is the best plan. Engraving can be painfully slow and stressful. It takes a lot of time and you have to stay on your game as they say at all times. Stippling background is boring and time consuming, don't pay close attention and over run the edge-big problem to correct or repair. Stress of deadlines, stress from worrying about making mistakes. Don't rush to buy things you don't need right away. Good luck in your class and have fun. Fred

Sponsors