Retiring -- Looking for Fellow Engravers in the Panhandle of Florida

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
It’s finally happened…..I’m going to retire from the military this May after being in uniform since 1986. It looks like our new home is going to be Panama City Florida.

Looking at the FEGA site, it appears to be a big white space for engravers. I’d like to ask if there is anyone in the rough area of Southern Georgia/Alabama or the panhandle of Florida. Sam appears to be one of the closest.

In any case, this forum will greatly help staying connected and I'm look forward to hitting the gulf. We’ll continue to run north to Alaska and Yukon for my regular fix of chasing large animals in the mountains. (picture is from our lates sheep hunt)
I also REALLY look forward to having the gunsmithing/engraving shop fully set up.

For this Iowa farm boy, the military has been a GREAT place to work, live and raise my family. It will push you well beyond what you think is your limits, but every “kid†signing up today is truly provided unlimited opportunities. You just have to work (really work) to achieve it. I’m continually amazed how we consistently turn all comers (farm kids, yuppie suburbanites, inner-city kids, computer/video game geeks and even some less than desirables) into of the finest young men and women you’d ever want to associate with.

Dan Gerdes

Attachments

• Goat Hunt 1.jpg
    Goat Hunt 1.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 213

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am in Albany GA, Ray Viramontez is here as well after long army career himself. There are a couple of the guys in central GA, Scott Plinkington is in Montegale TN. There a few in AL as well. Fred

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you for your great service and congrats on the retirement. Hope you will come to Idaho some time and take up the pursuit some fall. P.S. you can get a WOLF tag here now!!!!

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't live there anymore but I do get down to the "Redneck Riviera" now and then. Try Bayou on the Beach, for good Cajun food. I think it's on Middle Beach dr. Don't know any engravers that live around there though, my old stomping grounds...

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks everyone.....Silverchip: the greater Boise area was a VERY strong option for us. We were house shopping but other things (aka the wife) make up my mind. I too enjoy wolfing. They are one smart animal and have great hides.
Tim: Look forward to getting back there too. Fried mullet, boiled peanuts , palmetto bugs and Billy Bowlegs. I know we'll be everyone’s winter escape, and we'll have the rooms ready. I just look forward to having a real shop (finally), and getting out the 10 and 12 weight fly rods. I promised Ray Cover a while ago to show him the ropes on big fish.
Carlos: Thanks brother…we’ll be running back to Del Rio regularly to help with the family ranch.

Dan

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If your anywhere near settled the first part of June you should plan on coming to Scott's Engrave-in in Monteagle TN. Not to far past Chattanooga and about 1hr and1/2 or so from the Blade show in Atlanta on the weekend. Give you a chance to meet 40 or 50 of the fold in the engraving business. many from the southeast but a lot com from CA, MI, MO, TX and others. Might be a couple come in from overseas. Check out his post. Worth the trip for the whole family. Lots to see at both the engrave-in and blade. Fred

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
Fred
Very much agree and we've already looked at the driving directions. We've been trying to get there for a few years but deployments, graduations, etc have all gotten in the way. If we can't make it this year, for sure next.

Carlos....
Can't be too long out of Texas or the wife will burst into flames. Julios chips and spice would be a great thing to bring to the engrave-in.

Dan

Dan

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
I am located in central Alabama. I am retiring from the engineering field in June to go full time into engraving, antique gun restoraton and custom early American firearm building. I wish you well in your retirement and a Big Thanks for your service!