Announcement: Daughters first class

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
She's been wanting to learn for a while, (8 years old) she's a big art fanatic. So it finally happened, to tell you the truth it felt great, did not have to be on my own, it's always nice to be able to share what you love, especially with someone you love.

Here are some pictures

uploadfromtaptalk1397706548055.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1397706569157.jpg

She started on the bottom and worked herself towards the top, a little improvement!

Watch "First hand engraving class" on YouTube
First hand engraving class: https://youtu.be/13AGIIAtu_w

Thanks for looking.

Saludos,

Carlos

Last edited:

tdsilver

Carlos there is nothing more satisfying than your loved ones enjoying the same thing you do.Her work looks grate, and keep up the practice.

Thanks for the post.
Terry

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fantastic pictures Carlos, always nice spending time together as much as possible with your kids.
Enjoy the time they are little, before you know they are grown up, lovely daughter you have. ;)

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
just great to see this, Carlos...
only small remark from across the Pond..
we ve been teached to put the dumb at the side of the engraving Point .. in fact.. the teacher got upset when he saw index finger on top ... just my 2 eurocents.:thumbsup:
every Body s got his own technique but sure there must be a reason they teach this at School.. maybe it s also easier tot pop out burs too..

Last edited:

mrthe

Frank , when you talk about the thumb or index finger position on the graver, are you talking about push hand engraving?
Because for air assisted gravers i think that there are nothing wrong about putting the index on the graver , when i use hand push graver yes i think the most correct is what you say because the thumb itself becomes the point of support and guidance of the cut, but with power i use my index to guidance the graver too

leo

Elite Cafe Member
Congratulations Carlos you have the perfect opportunity to teach her mount some of the coins you have for her also

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you everyone for the kind remarks and pointers, i use the index as Mr the pointed out, i use this method to keep from smearing the transfer, or the drawing.

Saludos,

Carlos

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
cool stuff you, i mean she is doing. there is no better thing a parent can do with a child, than to share of themselves. getting a youngster away from the tv is priceless. be careful, she may put you out of business !

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
Frank , when you talk about the thumb or index finger position on the graver, are you talking about push hand engraving?
Because for air assisted gravers i think that there are nothing wrong about putting the index on the graver , when i use hand push graver yes i think the most correct is what you say because the thumb itself becomes the point of support and guidance of the cut, but with power i use my index to guidance the graver too
When I was in Liège School, long time ago, (the Dead Sea was only a little sick)
we did nt had air assist;)
but maybe ask a teacher around here he could point this out... Martin would be the man.. I know he teaches also the thumb at the side method..

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you everyone for the kind remarks and pointers, i use the index as Mr the pointed out, i use this method to keep from smearing the transfer, or the drawing.

Saludos,

Carlos
Carlos, you can alwyas "fix" the Transfer, some use hairspray, other varnish in a spraycan....

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Carlos,What your doing is wonderful geting your daughter started at an early age,one suggestion get her art lessons.Drawing and engraving go hand and hand,our fellow engraver across the bond started drawing first then practice plates were next.One long apprenticeship that payed off and you've seen the beautiful engraving they been showing us.J.J.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
@monk, it's becoming a problem I would like to teach and work on my guns, but i only own 1 hand piece. If this continues which i hope it does i just found my excuse to buy a second.

@frank

I was doing some shading on a running wheat border, and remembered what you had said so I used the side thumb method. It worked really well for control my my only issue is that I like to engrave handguns and revolvers they are very odd shaped not flat as a 1911, and many obstacles when turning your gravers. So I also found the over-the-top method very useful at times also, so my assessment is. It is very important to learn and master both.

@ JJ

I had that on mind, but i live in a, small town or city to be more exact, the sad thing is that at least what i have seen, the arts are not really given great importance (sad) you either take one class in middle school, one in high school, who knows if it's even offered at the local collage.
But will look around, hopefully some summer camps or something. If not I'm going to have to look for some Internet course, that would be good for both of us.

@ at everyone else Thanks again for the comments my daughter reads them.

Saludos,

Carlos

Last edited:

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Carlos. There are great drawing. Lessons on YouTube I will send you a link of one of my favorite artist instructors. However for the youth amongst us you might want to always make sure the art instruction is appropriate for their age

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Sponsors