Engravers Wanted

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello! I received this information from my friends at the MJSA. Montana Silversmiths is looking for some good people to relocate to Montana as they expand. Please e-mail Travis Searle <Travis.Searle@mjsa.org> with any questions or comments. Thanks!

MONTANA SILVERSMITHS, INC.
Department: Design
Supervisor: Designer/Engraver
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Grade:
Revision Date: May 2013
Prepared by: Colette Schlehuber

Job Summary:
Under general direction from either Art Director or immediate supervisor, the Designer/Engraver is responsible for the process of originating and/or developing a design or plan for a product and/or making a model that takes into consideration each step in a product’s development, including how a product will be used and how it will be produced. The person in this position also performs hand engraving for masters, designer buckles and jewelry, stone setting in high-end designer products, and sometimes prepares and repairs nickel dies.

Scope of Responsibility:
The successful candidate will have a number of years as a successful designer/engraver for other belt buckle and/or jewelry companies, and will have a thorough knowledge of the manufacturing process that follows the design of such items.

Essential Duties and Responsibilities:

1. Designing New Buckles and Jewelry
1.1. Researches and brings creative and innovative ideas for new product.
1.2. Creates drawings of new product by hand and by computer.
1.3. Keeps designs within the company’s manufacturing capabilities.

2. Hand Engraving Master Dies and production product.

2.1. Lays out bright cut scrollwork.
2.2. Wriggle scrolls; bright cuts scrolls and flowers; line scrolls; cross hatch scroll lining; single point and bevel cut overlays.
2.3. Carves ropes, balls, and jump rings, where needed.
2.4. Keeps gravers sharp and in working condition.

3. Prototype Engraving

3.1. Designs and makes prototype by cutting design into the surface of original metal models and subsequent hubs and dies.
3.2. Designs and makes gravers in a variety of shapes and sizes that yield different results.
3.3. Uses various tools including flat gravers, Florentine liners, etc.

4. New Premium Product Designing

4.1. Works with premium account representatives.
4.2. Creates designs to customer specifications.
4.3. Lays out and designs drawings by hand and computer.
4.4. Redraws logos, designing within the company’s manufacturing capabilities.

5. Preparing and Repairing Nickel Dies

5.1. Inspects dies for wear and weak areas.
5.2. Trims and repairs areas on dies that have mushroomed or collapsed during use.

6. Other duties as assigned.

Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
2. Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
3. Ability to utilize hand engraving tools and techniques at master level.
4. Positive attitude and good working relationship with other employees and Supervisor.

Minimum Qualifications:

5 years of design/engraving experience, High School degree or equivalent.

Physical Demands & Working Conditions:
Work is indoors in a manufacturing environment. Day to day activities will Involve lifting, standing, walking, sitting and repetitive use of hands fingers and arms. Work requires high attention to detail and shifting but sharp deadlines. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less), color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors), depth perception (three-dimensional vision, ability to judge distances, and spatial relationships), and ability adjust focus.

Some requirements in this job description may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees. All requirements are subject to modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.

Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and experience required. To perform this job successfully, the worker must possess the abilities and aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.

This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise. The Company retains the discretion to add duties or change the duties of this position at any time.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Shawn has done experience with montana silversmiths. He would be a good one to talk to about his experienced with them.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yup, I did an interview with them a few years ago. At the time they were offering an ok package but I didn't like the guy that was running the program, so at the end of the day I decided that if they were going to have me there, it was going to cost them a lot more than they were offering. Needless to say my independence got the better of me.
I would say that if there was ever a good position available for an engraver,this could be one. I wish them well in their search.

Latest posts

Sponsors