Question: Pancake dies for silver

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
This is getting interesting. It's been on my roundtoit list. I wanna back up a bit for my benefit and for fellow readers, can someone can give me a better explanation on what's a pancake die and how it's used? I get the gist but is there a female form to go with or do use a pad or something similar to press out the silver?

Thanks for the pics Leonard. I was lost till you posted them. I need to get out more.......

John

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Clax
Simple enough.
Get Fred to build the lid, then take a steel round, groove it and then chase the lip into the groove!

John P.
Take say a 1/4" × 1 & 1/2" × 4" spring steel/toolsteel sheet. draw your pattern on it, drill two holes at the butt end, saw out the pattern leaving the space in between your two starter holes intact. Then with a torch bring the solid "hinge" piece to a Cherry red and open it about 1/4"

Let it "AIR" cool.

Slip your silver in, slip it in your press press and "Click" the piece out.

Last edited:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
John, in the next day or two I will post some better pictures. Maybe I read it wrong but atexascowboy called for the metal to be 1/4" thick. If so that is too thick for anything I would be cutting.
Remember, the die only needs to be slightly thicker than the material you are cutting.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397667019.475015.jpg
Brian, that is an easy question to answer. I left the cap off of this flux and came back several days later and every piece of iron turned rusty. You can't imagine how overjoyed I was.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
just leaving the cap off was sufficient for the fumes to rust everything in the vicinity? wow- that's some caustic <stuff>!

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
=Haraga.com;
I left the cap off of this flux and came back several days later and every piece of iron turned rusty.

.....what's in a name... :biggrin:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

castagnos&s

Haraga how much pressure will your press push? I was told that I could use my twenty ton press with a urethane pad and it would cut them. Has anyone used this particular method? Also Haraga how did you go about holding a consistent angle on your saw to cut your die? looks like it works perfectly. Also what gauge of silver was that concho? I am using 20 g for my earings

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't know the tonnage. I just held the saw at a consistent angle. The concho was 18 gauge. Like I said, by the time you cut your second die, you will be a pro at it. Lets see a picture of the earring you are making.

castagnos&s

I would really like to post a pic of them but that is way to advanced on the computer skills for me to do. They are tapaderos that measure 2" long x 1.75" wide before they are formed. They are pretty cool and thus far have been a pretty big hit. I have also hung them on a chain for a necklace.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
So umm Mike, I looked at your old posts on here and I see you have posted pictures before. I am confused that you are having trouble showing us a pair of these earrings.

castagnos&s

Haraga I clicked on the pic download Icon and it asks for a url address? That is pretty much Chinese to me. If it would let me browse thru my pics then I could do it no problem. Any help would sure be appreciated. Mike

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You got me. I uploaded mine on an iPhone. How did you do your other pictures?

castagnos&s

I just clicked add pic attatchment and browsed thru my library of pictures. It allowed me to upload them from that no problem. Hopefully I can get with someone or have someone that is a little more tech savvy than myself show me what to do with them.

Latest posts

Sponsors