Question: Pancake dies for silver

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
The angle of the cut depends on the size of blade and the thickness of material. Bonny Dune has the chart as to what angle you use. If you put your cutting platform at that angle and hold your saw straight it works every time.
Rod

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
And if you are a little off and it doesn't quite clear... well, that's what those things called files are for...

We rarely harden and temper those dies - unless we intend to produce over a hundred or so pieces.

Or the die is made for a customer and they request it. Mo money...

Brian

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't know why one would use a common 25$ jewelers saw to cut one of those dies when a person could buy a Bonny doon system for hundreds of dollars. The best part about the boon system is you don't need to use as many skills.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Leonard,

Quit pullin' everyones chain...

You can do it with a $15 saw. I have. And you can make or buy a bench pin that has the angles on it.

That's all you really need unless you plan to make a living at making dies - or have to make a big bunch in a hurry.

I thought I was gonna have to make a big bunch in a hurry and bought the Bonny Doon power saw for doin' it.

Sure, it's nice. And so is the manual sawing jig. We have both in the classroom. Probly 4 of the manual ones?

BUT, to make your first couple of dies - you can get by with just a big wooden bench pin and a horseshoeing rasp to get you the angle you need.

Brian

By the way, the ONLY thing I can take credit for actually teaching Victor - was how to make these dies...

Last edited:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well then Brian I must thank you for teaching Vic as he is the one who taught me.
Brian I wish you would post pictures of your lifetime acquisition of tools. I think it would be impressive.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you haven't figured it out yet, I don't post images. Never have (but once or twice of the classroom) and never will.

End of subject.

B.

Oh yeah, I did post some old work on Lindsays forum maybe 6 or 7 years back? That's all there will ever be.

Unless this Levaquin poisoning makes me crazy, like it has some folks? :(

B.

P.S. Ah, Leonard... someone sent me a "Like" for sumthin' I wrote in this thread.

So I had to come back here to see what it was. I musta missed your post below?

<"Brian, is it possible that some of your health issues are caused from DSB?">

Had to go look it up, I had no idea what you meant.

Thank you for your concern, but that is not one of my current afflictions...

I am worried however, by your familiarity with the acronym?
My condolences... must be pretty miserable.

Last edited:

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
Arnie Esp was mentioned. Another Montana silversmith and engraver I didn't know about. He does nice work.

http://arneespsilver.com/bitsbuckles.html

Great thread. I'm going to be making one for pendants soon and I'll post how it went. I'd do it today but I'm really close to being a pilot again after a 12 year layoff so I'm on that till it's done.

John

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Never heard of Arne? John you got to get out of the house more. It's too windy here to fly. I would think you have the same wind. You should postpone the flight. Seriously though, that guy Arne does fantastic work. He's an old ranch pilot also.

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
No flying today but Monday looks good. I wasn't ready today. A few small things to do, maybe a couple hours work. Two hours estimated means it'll take at least six.

Get out? Where's that?

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
John get out means you go north just a little bit until. You hit the highway then take your choice of going east or west.

Sponsors