Question: Pancake dies for silver

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I made a die to make snuff can lids. Thought I figured it all out so it would bend 26 gauge silver snuff can lids-allowed for the thickness, slightly beveled edge, alignment pins, made a great punch.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Birddog, 20 gauge is the thinnest I cut with mine. Bottom line the cutting die must be thicker than the material to be cut.

claxton

I made a die to make snuff can lids. Thought I figured it all out so it would bend 26 gauge silver snuff can lids-allowed for the thickness, slightly beveled edge, alignment pins, made a great punch.

Would you mind posting picture. Have thought about building one myself. Does it work on plastic can as well as cardboard (Copenhagen is the only one still using cardboard I think)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
send ron spokovich a pm concerning this. he may be able to make these dies. concerning pressing you own snuff lids, i do it all the time---- but beware, there are minor variations on the diameters of the plastic cans. one lid die set may not work for all brands. for those that form their own lids-- i found it quite helpful to lube the dies with mineral or vegetable oil. this way, you end up with a snuff lid, not a 2-piece affair!!!!!

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
0-1 stock does not need to be heat treated. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397531718.710204.jpg
Assuming you are cutting silver or gold.
This die has cut a lot of times and is as sharp as when it was new.

castagnos&s

Haraga, How thick is that die, and what if any angle is there on the cut? I will try and get a pic posted but I am not much of a photographer. I have a simple home made twenty ton hydraulic press.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's about a 5 degree angle or less. Too much of an angle and you won't be able to push the male part of the do thru the female part. Your die material will be thicker than the material to be cut. I think the die is around 100 thousands thick. If you are cutting thin sheet then thin die material is very easy to make. After you make your mistakes on your first die attempt, you will be a pro on the second one.