Question: Favorite autoloader to engrave and shoot

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am thinking I want to do some range shooting with a friend of mine. He has been kind enough to let me shoot his guns and give me some advise on what to be looking for to buy for myself as a carry gun and something that would do fairly well at the range too. I would like something that is good quality and if I wanted to engrave it, I could later on. So what I want to know is your thoughts on this type of situation and what you think a good prospect would be today.?????

Thanks for your opinions. Dave

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dave,
Do you carry open or concealed. Open carry allows a longer barreled, heavier gun and it better for range shooting. Concealed usually dictates shorter, lighter gun and they are usually aluminum alloy framed. I prefer .45 ACP over 9mm. They will shoot thru a car door and knock an assailant down just by hitting him in the thumb. My son is a cop and there is a trend among PD's to return to the .45. That said, you can't beat a Kimber or a Colt.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One of the things I do is I'm a concealed weapons instructor. For various reasons, I think the S&W 340PD is ideal and state of the art. It's small, light weight, no exposed hammer to snag on the draw, can shoot .38 Special, .38+P, .38+P+, and .357 Magnum. And, it can be shot with the use of only one hand. (You need two for a semi-auto).

The first rule of the gun fight: Bring a gun! (The big, heavy pistol you leave at home or keep in the glove compartment won't do you any good)

That being said... the ideal personal protection device isn't necessarily a pistol that is good to engrave. :eek:

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hey Dkanger, I've been hit in the finger with a 45 ACP. It didn't knock me down, but it did feel like somebody took a full swing at my hand with a baseball bat.

Todd

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Colt mustang, they even come in polymer and the top is engravable, depends on the metal of choice for the frame it can all be engraved, and it's small enough for carry, new advances in ammo even in 380 will go through a car door. Look at the Hornady ammo.

Just my two cents worth

Last edited:

leo

Elite Cafe Member
It is said that that hand gun are use to get to the big guns if you are trying to get something for carrying every day get GSR 1911 engraveval all around in 45 is really great not to heavy on your belt it uses 7 round clip also they sell a drop in convertion that turns it into a 22 for target practice really nice an all around gun the only police department that uses it is the rodeisland state state police but they use the model 926 in 40 mm really great but the handle are polymer only the slide and some part of the frame is engraveval my second choice try to see as many possible model that you can and go to gun shops that let you try them before you buy it because having a carrying pistol or gun that you don't like is like wearing a pair of really tite underwear you would never be comfterble to shoot it and it could mean your life remember you don't want a pair of tree huggers you want to feel comfterble all around

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, all of the above have a point, I have always felt you should shoot what is comfortable. Find out what you can shoot the best and choose from that group. Too many people buy tiny guns and find out they can't hit any thing with them. Make sure the the grip angle of whatever you buy allows for easy pointing for you(not too high or low) makes a difference.

scott99

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would like something that is good quality and if I wanted to engrave it, I could later on.

As high quality concealable semi-autos go, it's pretty hard to beat the quality of the Sig Sauer. The P238 HD in stainless steel would pack the needed punch (.380 ACP) and would probably be engraveable. (I don't know for sure.)

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Sig P238 is engravable because they sell an engraved version. On it they engrave through the finish and 'inlay' a gold flower (looks more like plate or damascene to me).

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's hard to beat a PPK for classic elegant good looks, engraved or plain. It's small enough to be concealable but big enough be fun to shoot. I would get the .32 version for all around shootability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Why not a revolver? I'm a big fan of smaller revolvers like the Colt detective in 38 special. Plus its a nice softer steel to try engraving.

(Plus, I just like revolvers in general!)

monk

Staff member
why engrave a "carry piece" ? if you have the permit, one isn't supposed to show & tell. if open carry, that's a whole nother thing. the one i carry rarely sees the light of day, xcept for an occasional trip to the range. nobodys' business what mine looks like ! it's a tool i hope never to have a need for.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The S&W 686 in 357 with 6" barrel in stainless is a pretty great gun too. I'm engraving one right now.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Two things. If your main focus is to find something to engrave that you can also carry, don't get a Glock. The slides are way too hard to fool with. If you're looking for the right carry gun that you can also engrave, then make your decision on the reliability of the proven ones available. Practice with it more than any gun you own because your life may depend on it as well as the holster it's carried in which is just as important. After considering this, then choose one that can be engraved with the design lines that you like.

My personal choice is the 1911.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
What about long guns

What about long gun,my favorite is the Remington Model 81 semi-automatic in 300 Savage great for wild boar hunting. J.J.

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
If I was carrying for concealed carry or defense I would carry a non-modified weapon, double action only. But I'm more of a lover than fighter so I don't carry.

I've shot the Sig 238 and the S&W M&P Bodyguard 380. I like the 1911ish of 238 but it's a tiny gun and the safety would be difficult to operate in the middle of being assaulted. A petite female friend of ours has one and she has difficulty operating it even when laid back at the range. The S&W 380 is double action only and much easier to operate in a pinch. Pull it point and pull.

All in all, even though I love my semi-autos, I'm a fan of the hammerless revolver for unexpected self defense. No slide to block in clothing, etc.

My 'pickup' gun that I use for plinking, gophers and skunks I plan on making as fancy and as modified as I like. It used to be a 1911 but I'm getting tired of picking up brass so it's now a 1860 Army with a Kirst Konverter. It shoots really well but needs some more bling. It's a fun gun for my fun gun. Being one armed I don't have much interest rifles.

I do carry a pocket knife that needs engraving.

John

Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dave, If your look'n for a personal carry you should use what I do. I opt to let'm see my S Series Smith & Wesson 44 Special with 4 inch barrel. Double action, 246 or 460 grain lead bullet described by many gun writers and experts as the perfect handgun. If you want to be real sure they don't ask twice you can switch to hollow points. Makes a mess though. If you just want to warn 'm off use birdshot varmint loads. Holds six so you could use a couple a each and let it be luck of the draw. Awful fun to target shoot but bullets are now $69 box -Fred

I got my daughter a Bond 45/410- not much at the range but taught her to point and hit at 15 feet, loaded with 410 36cal #1 buckshot, 10 bullets in 2 shots-better odds. Need to engrave both. Both said to cut fine, have cut a couple of Bonds and they cut well. Have not cut a S&W 44 Sl though FM

Last edited: