Question: Favorite autoloader to engrave and shoot

John P. Anderson

Elite Cafe Member
All things said it looks like your leaning 1911. Can't go wrong there but deciding all the bells and whistles is complicated.

The upper is easy to hide on 1911. It's the grip that sticks out. I like the Ed Brown Bobtail for that reason. I'm not into concealed carry but it makes plain old carry easier on the seat covers. Being a lefty I want an ambidextrous safety. I also like good sights and a beavertail grip safety. Firstly it must be proven reliable and better be capable of putting all shots in the 10 ring at 25yards. The only thing I don't like about the 1911 is picking up brass.

http://www.edbrown.com/mainspringhousings.htm

John

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I understand that SIG makes a model with two uppers- one that is shorter for easier C&C and one that is longer for the range. I kinda like that Idea.

Keep in mind you really need different ammo in the shorter barrels. Standard .45 ACP 230 gr is designed for the longer barrel. You probably need a smaller bullet and hotter load to get the velocity back up where it's needed in the short barrel. So, perhaps two barrels make two different ball games.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
I can't believe you said that Doc!
That theory went out with the cap and ball.
They even put .45 ACP in them lil ol 2 shot deirengers now.

S.C.
Years ago I got caught up in the shorter barrel hype.
The Colt officers model, to me, is the best of both worlds.
Too short and your weapon becomes butt heavy. Under 3& 1/2" and there isn't enough barrel length to stabilize your weapon in a pants only carry, no IWB holster.
To alleviate tearing up your truck seat use an appendix cross draw holster.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I can't believe you said that Doc!
That theory went out with the cap and ball.

Yeh? I wonder why several ammo manufacturers make special short barrel .45 ACP ammo? Perhaps this video will shed some light on that subject with some actual data:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MyBWiDQl1Q[/video]

Andrew Biggs

Sorry, you are all wrong.........a flintlock is the way to go and if you want something more modern, then get a cap lock.

You provide the auto loading part. Admittedly it's not as fast as some other guns but they are fun to shoot and engrave.

Explosion, a long flame, lots of smoke, plenty of soot and lead in the air........what more could you want :)

Cheers
Andrew

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
I love the white cloud the muzzle-loader makes. Maybe I should load some black powder .44 rounds. Send out bullets while creating a smokescreen - offense and defense combined.

The musket won't fit in a pocket. Neither will a 1911. Self-loaders, even the excellent Gold Cup, will stovepipe or do some other stupid thing occasionally, which I why I think a revolver or a derringer is a better choice for self defense. A defense gun must be foolproof. The majority prefer autos. Try them all and buy what fits your hand and hits the x-ring. If you can engrave it too, you will be happy happy happy.

Last edited:

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sigs are nice pistols unless that have that Nitrom finish. The Nitron is related to the tenifer. It's hard!

graniteguy52

Elite Cafe Member
I've been carrying a Sig P938 Nightmare for the last 8 months - absolutely wonderful in the pocket and pretty accurate. Haven't tried to cut it, but, as I believe KCSteve stated - some of them are being sold engraved. The slide is made of 416 stainless according to what I've read.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors