Question: Favorite autoloader to engrave and shoot

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member

Not much for concealed carry, buts lots of room for full coverage!

leo

Elite Cafe Member
We'll silverchip is like sitting in an old roller the ones that construction company use to flatten roads out and turning the vibrator on

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for all your opinions, As for why I would engrave a gun that I potentially would carry and shoot a lot at a range,my answer would be cause I want to and I can.
I did say auto loader didn't I?? Not that there is anything wrong with any other gun,but the game at the range is more "accuracy through volume" than surgical precision(opportunity to pull the trigger lots on a weekend).

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As mentioned before, the little Sig P238 is a fantastic gun to carry and engrave. I carry one every day and I almost forget it's there. The slide cut's like a dream. The first firearm I ever cut was my own P238. The frame can't be engraved, (at least not well) as it's aluminum. I did work over the trigger and the safety
They now make a slightly larger version that's still very easy to carry and that is the P938. Same as the .380 only slightly larger. If you are familiar with 1911 controls then the gun is a natural.
If you want something slightly nicer, I don't know about the new ones but the original Colt Mustangs had steel frame and slide if you wanna go the full coverage route.
My last choice would be the Walther PPK. While it is one of my favorite guns to shoot and carry, (fantastic craftsmanship) it is one of the hardest guns to design engraving for. The engraveable areas are like separate panels and it's a hard gun to create a cohesive design for. (ask me how I know). Does cut very easily though. I did a stainless version and it cut like a dream.
Good luck!
Layne

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dave,
"accuracy through volume" than surgical precision(opportunity to pull the trigger lots on a weekend).

MAC 10 , Uzi, or the classic Sten (a fine British weapon produced for I believe about 8 dollars) now those have fire power and all are concealed carry by one government or another somewhere. I have a friend who bought several of the Sten surplus guns that had been cut in half-piece of 1 1/2 in muffler pipe and the hole pattern bought on line for $5 some pop rivets and back in service. Shot Gun News was selling them for $25 cut in half.

jr hoot gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Dave:
The "code of the west" says you can't own too many firearms, go spoil yourself, get one of each!!!!LOL I really like my Springfield EMP.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The rate of my acquisition has been slow but steady,this next one is why I am asking the question. I do want something that answers both requirements with lasting quality and good looks that are real world functional.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Pretty simple. It ain't an autoloader in your sense of the term. More like a disposable single shot.

Piece of pipe with a cap. Crude firing pin, sometimes even operated by a rubber band to strike the firing pin.

And you can still write to us here in the forum from your jail cell...

Brian

Last edited:

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Pretty simple. It ain't an autoloader in your sense of the term. More like a disposable single shot.

Piece of pipe with a cap. Crude firing pin, sometimes even operated by a rubber band to strike the firing pin.

And you can still write to us here in the forum from your jail cell...

Brian

Except that Doug Donnelly decided to make a totally weird and "useless as t**s on a boar hog" pistol he calls the ZiP™

Last edited:

J.Powell

As I have not engraved a slide yet, (nor anything at all, newbie here) I cannot attest to the how engravable it is, but I recently picked up a S&W M&P Shield .40. Its a subcompact single stack the comes with 7 round mag. I understand you can get 10 round mags as well. Its light weight and being a single stack its only about an inch wide. I opted for it over the Ruger LC9 for example as they have curved lines that look more feminine to me. This one has the "look" I wanted as well. My CCW application is still processing so I dont carry it yet, but its a really nice little gun thats worth looking into.

Attachments

• SmithWessonMP9Shield_001.jpg
    SmithWessonMP9Shield_001.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
well, if you just want to engrave a carry gun for the heck of it, nothing we think makes much sense. just engrave it, enjoy it, and that's about it ! as for the gun of choice-- someone mentioned comfort. no gun, to me, is useful if it doesn't feel right in my hand. that's why the 1911 is the best choice in my hand. comfortable, low recoil. and a natural in my hand to aim . works on the x ring, and hip shots- i can murder a watermelon quicker than a bunch of picnickers !

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Down here in Texico, we call em BBQ guns.
The fancier the better!

My theory is along the lines of our local bait, ammo and beer store. "Yeah, we got it all!"

A .45 Corbon will take down just about anyone or anything. Why settle for a maybe, when your life is on the line?
Plus, when showing prospective engraving customers your work,, a .45 auto is classic, which also allows you to write it off as a business expense vs. a personal expense.

And yes, I pack the little Sig stainless .380 HD for those "Special" concealability situations.
Polish the ramp and feed it Corbons and you have a crowded situation (movie theater, beer joint) line of defense.

Plus, both make a well matched pair appealing to both sexes.

Latest posts

Sponsors