Cafe interview with Mitch Moschetti

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sometimes it's down to an engraver to conjure up the work, easily said though!

An example, I engraved a silver sort of medallion with the customers two childred inside, it was a kind of booklet, it's been posted but I can't find it, perhaps someone else can?

The customer was thrilled with it as it was a gift for her husband, she also mentioned that she would like to give him something else special, but because he is a man difficult to buy for, in that he has everything, she couldn't think what.

This is where the process starts, an opportunity to create work but not only that, to create work that you want to do.

So I mentioned a paperweight, fully carved with gold lined background and multi-coloured raised carved scrolls. She loved the idea and got quite involved with the design etc.

These situations are few and far between but when you see them make the most out of them, it's the difference between sometimes, no work and a lot of work :)

Phil

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Layne and Mitch, Very thought provoking insights. Thanks for taking the time. There are companies out there that call themselves engraving, silver smithing, etc. who have opted to go the CAM/CAD route or etching or stamping or casting, They will be forced over seas in the end. Enjoy what we do, Like my silver jewelry days I will give it away before my price comes down trying to compete with manufacturing companies. I know there are a couple of folks who frequent this site who have chosen the production line style and are involved in creating master or prototype work for Tandy, Silverama, Montana Silver. I hope you get rich, Sombody should. Fred

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sometimes it's down to an engraver to conjure up the work, easily said though!

An example, I engraved a silver sort of medallion with the customers two childred inside, it was a kind of booklet, it's been posted but I can't find it, perhaps someone else can?

The customer was thrilled with it as it was a gift for her husband, she also mentioned that she would like to give him something else special, but because he is a man difficult to buy for, in that he has everything, she couldn't think what.

This is where the process starts, an opportunity to create work but not only that, to create work that you want to do.

So I mentioned a paperweight, fully carved with gold lined background and multi-coloured raised carved scrolls. She loved the idea and got quite involved with the design etc.

These situations are few and far between but when you see them make the most out of them, it's the difference between sometimes, no work and a lot of work :)

Phil

Here it is Phil:

Attachments

• Locket by P.Coggan-side.jpg
    Locket by P.Coggan-side.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 137
  • Locket by P.Coggan-back.jpg
    Locket by P.Coggan-back.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 135
  • Locket by P.Coggan-front.jpg
    Locket by P.Coggan-front.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 137
  • Locket by P.Coggan-inside.jpg
    Locket by P.Coggan-inside.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 136

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree about engraving as "stand alone" art not being considered by the general public is very frustrating. I gave my medical doctor a framed practice plate as an appreciation gift for accepting me and my wife as patients when his practice was closed to accepting new ones. He has now become a good friend as well as my GP.