Model 1866 Uberti yellowboy!

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just delivered this firearm last night. I did the engraving for a local Masonic lodge. It's being raffled off to benefit their scholarship fund

Scroll and borders were based on Nimschke design.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 292
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 288
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 286
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 289

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Bert,Scrolls,lettering,nick & dot border and Masonic trade mark very nice, keep up the good work.:thumbsup: J.J.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is fantastic Bert. We're in the process of selecting another rifle for me to engrave for our Masonic lodge to raffle off this year and I've been trying to get them to commit to either a Henry or Uberti Yellowboy. Now I have something to show them for consideration. Thank you sir!

Bill

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is fantastic Bert. We're in the process of selecting another rifle for me to engrave for our Masonic lodge to raffle off this year and I've been trying to get them to commit to either a Henry or Uberti Yellowboy. Now I have something to show them for consideration. Thank you sir!

Bill

I'd suggest the Uberti as it's patterned after the real Winchester. The Henry is not.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd suggest the Uberti as it's patterned after the real Winchester. The Henry is not.

Yes. The Uberti is really as nice as it gets. The metal cuts flawlessly.

If you do your own take down of the firearms, I suggest you get some penetrating oil and make sure you have a good set of gunsmithing screw drivers. All the screws on the Uberti are extremely tight. I think they employ JoJo the 1000# gorilla to torque them!!! It's very easy to bugger up the screw heads with regular screwdrivers. Certain screws are near impossible to remove without the penetrating oil and proper screw driver.

Thank you for the kind remarks!

Jim P

Im trying to figure out just how the border is done. On my computer I cant see it very well when I zoom in the area between the straight outside line and the squiggly lines in the middle is that area stippled or somehow a bright cut? Sorry I guess I have been going thru my border phase lately Im not really trying to copy your work but I am trying to find a way to cut beautiful, complex, cheap, eazy, simple, quick, interesting, pleasing borders. Preferably something I can cut in one pass also.
Your work is beautiful and the patterns you have chosen fit the gun so well. It all seems to flow together so nicely.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Im trying to figure out just how the border is done. On my computer I cant see it very well when I zoom in the area between the straight outside line and the squiggly lines in the middle is that area stippled or somehow a bright cut? Sorry I guess I have been going thru my border phase lately Im not really trying to copy your work but I am trying to find a way to cut beautiful, complex, cheap, eazy, simple, quick, interesting, pleasing borders. Preferably something I can cut in one pass also.
Your work is beautiful and the patterns you have chosen fit the gun so well. It all seems to flow together so nicely.

This whole gun was cut with 2 gravers and a punch dot tool. A standard square graver and a flat graver I grind myself from a 3/32" square blank. My flat is slightly bigger than a 42 flat. I've just gotten used to making my own tools from blanks so that's why I do it.

Anyhow the border is quite simple to do. It's about 2.5 maybe 3mm wide. You cut parallel border lines with a square graver. Then make a series of pyramid or triangle cuts with a flat. I do the triangle cut all in one motion by rolling my graver in and out. When done correctly you don't even have to snap the bur out. It takes on a rhythm when cutting it. Being a jeweler primarily it just feels natural to cut it this way. I'm pretty used to using a flat for bright cutting around stones.

You could layout the cuts with dividers but I just eyeball it and do it by feel.

After you cut offset triangle cuts on both sides, I go back with a square graver and cut a squiggle line down both sides. This is done to "clean up" the "sawtooth" edge.

It's basically a variation of a nick and dot border.

Last edited:

Jim P

Thanks for the information. Ill have to practice on that and see if I can come up with something that Im comfortable with that looks nice. Yours certainly does.
Thanks,Jim

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the info Doc and Bert. I have a good set of gunsmith screwdrivers and plenty of penetrating oil. I was undecided about which manufacturer to use, as I understand you will need to special order a Henry for engraving as their regular gun is not made with solid brass but a cast brass.

Bill

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the info Doc and Bert. I have a good set of gunsmith screwdrivers and plenty of penetrating oil. I was undecided about which manufacturer to use, as I understand you will need to special order a Henry for engraving as their regular gun is not made with solid brass but a cast brass.

Bill

They have a model in regular production that is brass. But, I don't want one. All of their rifles are playing off the use of the name "Henry" when they really have nothing to do at all with B. Tyler Henry. Now they are producing a reverse engineered knock off of the 1860 Henry with a huge price tag to go with it. That will be their first reproduction of a real historical rifle. Their others are just old style looking rifles that never were Winchesters. Uberti makes the best Winchester and Henry replicas as far as I'm concerned.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Couldn't agree more with Doc. The Uberti, whether you buy from Cimarron or Taylor's, are very fine firearms. It's a shame no one in America makes them, but that's the way of the world now!

Latest posts

Sponsors