question about the transfersolution zippo fluid/dammar varnish glossy

joris

hello fellow -engravers!
i have a question about the making/mix of the fluid for transfer(so i can draw on it with pencil,made from zippo fluid and dammar varnish(i use the Talens).somehow i made the wrong mix,because when i put it on my furface it does not get completely dry,so the pencil will not con on good,it does not leave the grey mark you know.Is this due to not enough of the varnish,or,not enough zippo fluid?If someone can help my out with this one,please.Imade this last time years ago but somehow forgot the trick..
Maybe if i can make a note with what i add to the solution,so the gold or silver does not shine anymore under the mic.
I put some painting powder in it(it sais:artificial mineral pigment),titanium white,it gives my less shine,and also it gives better contrast with the pencildrawing i will do on it.Maybe you can check it out one time,i will be glad to help with charing tricks.
But thanks in advance for the answer!
Greets Joris

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think I have tried every solution created by man or women for the purpose of drawing on metal. Two hundred year old formulas to the latest and most "in" concoction. Learn to use Chinese White blocks correctly, draw lightly with soft lead and practice until you dub it on without thinking about it and without effort (still practicing that phase). I also like a wax or grease base (Sam's Transfer Wax or molding clay residue) powdered lightly with baby powder or talc the lightly blow the excess powder off. Pilot drawing pens work well. All these lines are only approximate anyway. The journey is the goal.

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Dammar/ Zippo mix I use is 25 % dammar and75 % Zippo fluid.
But I don't use it for drawing on it with a pencil, I use it for making transfers with transparency sheets with either an inktjet or a manipulated laser printer.
For directly drawing on the canvas I use Chinese White ordered in a small block from Bijou Moderne. ( I think you know this company)
To get rid of the shiny surface I tap it with some molding clay.

mrthe

To draw directly on silver or gold, or other metals you can ise a piece of plasticine, pick it on the metal, after that use a little amount of talc powder blowed on the surface, this will give you a no shine white surface and you will see better your pencil draw.

airamp

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,

You can add a little Testors modeling white paint (for plastic models) to your mix.
It is naptha based and mixes well with dammar and zippo fluid (naptha) and will harden the surface more for drawing..

AirAmp

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
To draw directly on silver or gold, or other metals you can ise a piece of plasticine, pick it on the metal, after that use a little amount of talc powder blowed on the surface, this will give you a no shine white surface and you will see better your pencil draw.

That's an interesting method Paolo. I guess you could do the same with Talc, applied to a sticky Damar/Zippo mix too?

mrthe

Yes Jo but maybe is more easy and fast do it with a piece of plasticine and more clean, this is a very old method but work very well, try it ;)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
joris: look in the tips section mike cirelli made a solution that works very well for me. i call it "cirelli sauce". if you can afford the postal fees, i'll send you a bottle free of charge. i have maybe a liter of it made up. that's enough for 20 engravers for a lifetime!! jayismonk450@gmail.com

joris

Willem thanks!i made the silly mistake..25%zippofluid and 75 % dammar varnish haha.
i that's why it's so "gelly"i think.
Thanks man.
Alles goed met je?leuk om nederlandse graveurs te leren kennen!
groeten joris

joris

hello,thanks for the advises!
Monk:i will contact you to try your special sauce:) thanks
Mrthe:i will go and find out what is and where i can buy plasticine and start trying with that!
i also know i not only mixed the fluid and varnish,but also i mixed then in opposite percentages:)

greets joris/holland

Latest posts

Sponsors