Engraved hammer head

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
For the folks who are not members of FEGA and receive the magazine "Engraver" I would like to share my contribution to Mr. Jon Rohner. This is #82 in his collection of engraved hammer heads. Thank you Scott for the opportunity and John Rohner for having starting this collection, I believe he said around 40 years ago. He is a true gentleman and kind soul, it was indeed my pleasure.

Attachments

• P1030765.jpg
    P1030765.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 278
  • P1030763.jpg
    P1030763.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 275
  • P1030767.jpg
    P1030767.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 277
  • P1030783.jpg
    P1030783.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 276

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Nice hammer engraving, Mark.

I would suggest fixing the white balance on your camera. Your photos are green.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Mark,Nice design an engraving on John hammer head,good seeing you Saturday at the knife show.Keep the good work.:thumbsup: J.J.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, I have tried different white balance on this camera (Lumix FZ40) unless I'm missing something on it. I may resort to the auto mode which is a little better. I have a 6500K fluorescent light that I have set up and go through the white balance menu for the best look/color and still I have a green tinge, quite frustrating in a world of perfect pictures.
Thanks everyone.
Mark

Sam

Staff member
Mark: I'm not familiar with your camera, but it seems like you should be able to do a custom white balance for your lighting. You did a nice job on the engraving and the green pics do your work an injustice. I hope you don't mind me pointing this out since it's normally an easy fix.

Setting up a custom white balance in the camera is always best. If that fails, doing it in Photoshop is next best. I took the easy way out and simply lowered the saturation to zero since you have a steel hammer head and no important colors in the photo. If you had gold inlay or colors you needed to capture, this obviously would not work. See how much better your engraving looks?! :clapping:

hammer_head.jpg

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, I did adjust these pictures but not as far. This problem has been pointed out by a couple of friends but I can't seem to find a way to adjust the balance for my lighting. I'll have to spend more time delving into this problem. I appreciate your time spent and the direction to look, Doc has also been helpful in the same advice.
Mark

Sam

Staff member
Mark: On page 128 of your camera instruction manual you will find how to set white balance. Be sure to set the white balance using the lights you will be shooting the photos with, and you will need to change it again if you change to different lights.

If you don't have the manual here's a link to it: http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMCFZ40-ADV.PDF

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
very nice hammer. i'm sure john will enjoy adding it to his collection. i have one about half finished. had to stop for some time due to head & hand tremors. i hope to finish the one i have by summer. have had brain (dbs) surgery to correct the tremors. but it seemed like i had to learn all over again maintaining control

Latest posts

Sponsors