Question: Â¿Is the 3D pantograph replaced the craft hand engraver in jewelry?

Javierart

Hello engravers ...

Does anyone know if the 3D pantograph engraver to jewelry called "Gravograph" has replaced the hand-engraved in the "jewelry category" in USA?
¿ engraving hand jewels in USA or Canada or pendants yet? or do all the 3D pantograph lately?

I ask because I was told that up to 5 years ago there was more demand for hand engravers in the workshops of this versatile pendant by pantograph was not or were not doing the work do modern pantographs

The pantographs there many years ago but not before they engraved no jewelry as monogrammed medals, rings, bracelets as does this "Gravograph" so my question is if any of you know and can tell me if they have achieved these engraving machines actually replacing the hand-engraved inside Pendants Pendants or workshops

agradecere much will your answers

regards

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Javier, I would have to say that in some cases when the pieces are very inexpensive, It may be that the pantograph makes more sense to use. For the most part in my world, I hope that hand engraving continues to be more favored.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i use a pantograph for quick layout on some low priced work. i almost always hand engrave over the lines by hand-- that is if the client wants to pay extra money for the hand work. otherwise a much lower price for the panto work. to answer your question-- it's unlikely any mechanical contraption will ever replace the human mind and hand, or so i pray !

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I find that the pantograph or computer engravers are so widely used now that many people don't know the difference. In my shop, my partner takes all the inexpensive pieces to be engraved. Steel wedding cake knives and so on. The shops that sell silver tend to give me that work. I'm engraving a set of 150 pieces of silver flatware at the moment. The customer that pays that kind of money for silverware doesn't mind spending what it takes to hand engrave each piece. There is a place for both. It is up to us as engravers to educate clients, jewelry salespeople etc. what the difference is between the two.
Pantograph will never replace hand engraving. There will always be a demand for what we do.
Layne

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
i use a pantograph for quick layout on some low priced work. i almost always hand engrave over the lines by hand-- that is if the client wants to pay extra money for the hand work. otherwise a much lower price for the panto work. to answer your question-- it's unlikely any mechanical contraption will ever replace the human mind and hand, or so i pray !

a pantograph will only copy and resize what s on the human mind ;-)

DDick

Panto-graph

I have 3-D Computer engraving machines
and hand engraving equipment. You cannot
replace the beauty of hand engraving
with machines. Machines have their place.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i also use a laser engraver. sure is a money maker, fast, ultra precise, etc. strangely, even though i make every effort towards quality, i have no sense of pride when doing this automated work. it just earns money, no fuzzy feeling there ! same with a plotter and a cnc engraving machine i own and operate, cold cash-- no warm & fuzzy ! it does, however, allow me to create work for people that couldn't afford hand work or when it's not practical for the job at hand. i don't ever see me hand engraving a sign 3X5'

Latest posts

Sponsors