Beginning Engraving

chaplin37

Good afternoon everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me on this. I have an Ngraver and sam alfano's successful engraving jewelry video. The help i need is that I'm not sure at what angle I should be holding the engraver while cutting the metal. Also I have bought some brass from the local hardware store and when i use the engraver it seems kinda hard to engrave on. Any kind of help, tutorials, videos, books etc that could help me out that would be great. Thanks everyone.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome to the forum.

I have not used the ngraver brand I'm on a Lindsay classic. But one thing I do not see you mention is sharpening. How are you sharpening your gravers?

chaplin37

I have an india stone to sharpen the gravers. I have used my graver enough but not enough that it needs to be sharpened yet as i tested it against my finger nail.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
may i suggest you spend some time ( much if possible) going thru the tips section. there, probably most, if not all, of what you want to know is there. there's even a section for "newbies". thanks for joining and good luck in your pursuit of this fascinating art.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Are you using a template to sharpen? Here is one of my videos min. 7 I believe is where the sharpening starts. Monk is right, you are not the fist or the last with this question, use the search button.

I have more videos check then out.

Watch "Poor mans: blank gravers and power hone and use of" on YouTube
Poor mans: blank gravers and power hone and use of: https://youtu.be/BnAoV7l_jqM

Last edited:

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome to the forum. I am also new, so I am not much help, my advice is learn how to sharpen the gravers and work on learning how to draw scrolls.

chaplin37

Hey monk,

I tried to find the beginners tips but was not successful. Could you point me in the right direction? thanks

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The help i need is that I'm not sure at what angle I should be holding the engraver while cutting the metal
To answer your question, your graver should have a heel on it, usually around 20 degrees. In practice, you start your cut and then lift your graver up 20 degrees. It will then cut straight. If you don't raise it high enough, it will porpoise out of the work; and, if you raise it too high the tip will dig into the work. Since we don't know what your graver tip looks like, you should probably study up on graver geometry.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I progressed to the NgravR after H&C and it is a very good tool. The secret (if there is a secret) to using it, is keep the tool steady and turn your work into it. The holding geometry is the same, whether pushing or power assist. Proper sharpening of the graver is the key. Without that, you're fighting an uphill battle.

Bill

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
chaplin: top of page there's a button, "tips archive". click on it. the very first post is by our beloved landlord, sam alfano. get yourself a looseleaf notebook. lots of vital info there, all you gotta do is read it and take notes.

Latest posts

Sponsors