Cost of Ivory (walrus/mamoth) & Sources

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
Just got back from Anchorage/Fairbanks, and cost for mammoth and walrus ivory is going up due to scare over the elephant ivory ban.
They were doing a brisk business but supply is still there. Prices haven't gotten stupid, but I'd recommend anyone on the board look into supplies for near term work.

If needed, I know three businesses that regularly have ivory, mammoth molars and walrus jaw bones (very hard/dense bone w/ few voids). They also typically have dall sheep and muskox horns for knive handles or gips. Just PM me if desired for names.

Dan

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
It seemed odd but the phones were ringing. Mexico, France, LOTS fom China and across the US while we were there. Import / export laws were often the issue with some of the products. People from the US have the easiest time getting product from Alaska.

Dan

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Interesting.
Walrus ivory is beautiful. Tho I don't really mess with it for precisely the reason of import export issues. I do love that shattered pattern.
Nothing against the mastodon stuff. The tone and texture are wonderfull.

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
For something unique, try muskox horn. No import/export issues. It looks simmilar to birds eye maple but translucent. Hunting season for them is pretty much over and the horns from subsistance hunting were starting to pop up.

Dan

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For something unique, try muskox horn. No import/export issues. It looks simmilar to birds eye maple but translucent. Hunting season for them is pretty much over and the horns from subsistance hunting were starting to pop up.

Dan

It is very interesting, I will try

Thank you Dan for the info

Latest posts

Sponsors