Case & Accessories by Damien Connolly

Jim Kelso

Elite Cafe Member
Here's what Damien had to say about the pistols and his case job:

The pistols were bought without the original case and accessories. I studied up a bit and made my version of what it would have had. The case itself is very close to one from the maker of the pistols that I found online.

The pistols are by JB Ronge of Belgium, I'd guess around 1800-1810, in the late flintlock era. They're nominally of 63 cal, with smooth bores, which is an indication that they were dueling , rather than the target/dueling pistols more common on the continent.. All steel is a coarse texture browned finish, and notwithstanding the gold applied to the steel being damascene, it's almost wholly intact. The wood is inlaid with two tones of yellow gold, with some rose gold as well, and very well done too. While overall the work is not of the best modern standard, it's in the upper echelon of work from the period, and was done without magnification, by a guy who probably was not quite succeeding in feeding his family. Truly to be admired.

The style of the locks indicates the period of manufacture, but the overall styling of the pistols is decidedly atypical for Belgium at that time. It could have been a special order for a client of Moorish origin. Likely from the non-Christian part of the world at least. The ball butt and cannon barrel is in keeping with this, and the style of engraving and inlay certainly has this flavor.

They've survived very well for over 200 years, and some time in the past have had a little restoration, most evidenced by the fact that the wood and its inlay have been given a coat of polyurethane. To me that's sacrilege, not only for authenticity, but also for the fact that it's next thing to unremovable. There were quite a number of pieces of inlay loose, which I had to put back down. It could be that this had happened before, and the restorer may have hoped that the plastic finish would trap the inlay in the wood. Didn't work!

The case is a rosewood frame with burr walnut veneer. All steel is niter blued, and all yellow metal is 24ct gold plate, both done in house. The mold casts a .598" diam. ball to be used with the thin leather patches supplied in the largest of the four containers. The top compartment contains spare flints, and 15 balls stored in a molded leather tray to minimize soiling of the lining. In the lower compartment are a hog bristle brush and a wool mop, both contoured to allow cleaning of the narrow patent breech, and were made by me - as was the small cleaning brush that is seated below the trigger guard of the upper pistol.

And yes, you were right; I made all the hardware, including the screws. Commercial screws have wide slots that just don't belong on firearms related work, and commercial hinges are not only poorly fitted up, with inaccurate countersinks for the screws, but are designed so that they sit below the level of the wood when installed. Mine allow a flush fit with the wood in all places, and consequently are a pain in the ass to fit just right so that the case closes accurately. Zero room for error in the installed height. All screws are custom fitted to their holes to allow the slots to be timed correctly.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
thanks again for posting this, Jim. this work reminds me of the sort of gorgeous stuff Dan Cullity does (did?).

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
outstanding work..
here s a pic of the pistols.. sorry for the bad quality, it s a scan

Attachments

• DBL 001.jpg
    DBL 001.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 31

Latest posts

Sponsors