Question: Sil air 20a

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
I have a Sil Air 20A compressor that I attempted to run for the first time last night. After filling it with oil I plugged it in, it ran for about 5 seconds and then quit. I have not been able to get it to run since. I have checked the power supply and I have power. Reading the manual I do not see much else that I can check. The manual asked if the holding tank is fully pressurized, no because it only ran for 5 seconds. Thermal overload tripped? Since it only ran for 5 seconds I doubt that is the case, plus that resets itself after 15 minutes.

So anybody got any suggestions? :thinking:

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Does it make ANY humming or buzzing noise when it is turned on? I've discussed this more than once here. That particular model is suseptible to having the motor flop back and forth during shipping since it is suspended by 3 springs. When this happens, the motor windings can contact the edge of the hole in the tank that is punched for the sight glass. It will cut the wires and short the motor out. If that thermal overload doesn't work it'll get hot too, too hot to touch and you'll smell it.

UPS bought mine and I got a different model afterward. It wouldn't hurt to take the cover off (box) and then the clamp on the lid of the compressor and look down in there with a flashlight and see if it's cut.

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
You may want to check the pressure switch has been set correct or has not been damaged in transit.
Ray

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
I'm betting it's pressure switch related too.

I bought a Jun Air a while ago which worked fine. Put it into the car and drove home. Tried it again, and it wouldn't cut out, so adjusted the pressure switch so that it cut in and out at required pressures.
Then sold it a while later working perfectly. The buyer drove it home, and then it cut out too soon. I suggested that he re-adjust the pressure switch, and worked perfectly once again.

Basically, the pressure switch has told the compressor that it has reached the correct pressure, but it's wrong.

You should have a diagram of the pressure switch in your instructions.

Good luck,

Jo

Last edited:

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
I've called tech support several times, & they were always very helpful. 800 972-7668

They even put together some parts (I paid for parts) to make it easier to drain the tank.

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
I contacted the SIL AIR folks in Texas and the tech told me that the compressors ship with some air in them. So when I hooked it up it only ran a few seconds and the tank was full so it shut down. I never expected that because I had to put the oil in before running it, I figured the tank was empty. They told me to open the valve to the pressure regulator and bleed the tank down. That was it. So now I am a very happy engraver again. Man this little compressor is quite. I believe I am going to like this set up.

Thanks for everybody's help.

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks great news. Really happy it was something so simple.

Like you though, I'm surprised it had air in it, before any oil was added.
Maybe they pressurise the tank via another way, to check for leaks etc?!

Congratulations anyway. May you and your compressor be very happy together! ;)

Jo

knobstar

It will cut the wires and short the motor out.

It wouldn't hurt to take the cover off (box) and then the clamp on the lid of the compressor and look down in there with a flashlight and see if it's cut.

Dear Tim,
I lately got a Sil Air 20a compressor which does not make any sound at all. I checked all connections up to the pins at the motor housing. There I found out that there is no connection between N and C of the motor.
Then I read what you said about a cut off cable inside the compressor unit. Will I be able to fix it if it is like you stated? Or do I have to buy a new motor unit and change it completely?
thanks from Berlin, Germany

Latest posts

Sponsors