The reason i use a ring light + a side light

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks Mr. Sam,

Now I have a different question, what do you mean by '' it doesn't get hot ''

I know light will start to get hot after 1 or 2 hour but does it really effect the view ?

No, it doesn't affect the view. I just don't like a hot light bulb close to me when I'm working. LED doesn't get hot.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
If you take the time to dig there are ALWAYS better deals.

There are auctions, second hand, surplus, open box/discount, DIY, or altering what you've already got lying around - to start with.

I've found a couple of Dazors over the years at second hand stores, so I know it can be done.

All depends upon what YOUR time is worth... how inventive you can get and how much of a hurry you are in.

Brian

You can also resort to hinting to your other half, family and friends that you need a specific widget and it would make really useful gift for whatever days of the year you celebrate. You can go even further and make a calendar list of the days and the "gifts" you'd like to get and hand it out... :)

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i have, at last count, 17 Dazors of various models & types (fluorescent, incandescent, & halogen- currently shopping for a couple LEDs) and haven't paid anywhere near retail for any of 'em. i once bought an old stock lot of 9 brand new 28" arm bullet head incandescents on ebay for about $16 ea. about that time i also bought 3 rolling IV stands and had a friend turn some adapters for the lamp base post. rolling light sources are very handy around the shop...

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
i have, at last count, 17 Dazors of various models & types (fluorescent, incandescent, & halogen- currently shopping for a couple LEDs) and haven't paid anywhere near retail for any of 'em. i once bought an old stock lot of 9 brand new 28" arm bullet head incandescents on ebay for about $16 ea. about that time i also bought 3 rolling IV stands and had a friend turn some adapters for the lamp base post. rolling light sources are very handy around the shop...

I only have four Dazor lights. One ring light with magnifier and weighted desk top base and three clamp on incandescent lights. I bought all of them on eBay. I think I got the ring light for half of retail used. (About $200) The incandescents were brand new and looked to have been from some government surplus operation. I remember they were about $29. I got one for my father in law also. I have one weighted floor stand that any of the Dazors can plug into. Dazor is the Rolls Royce of lamps.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I recently bought an old dual photography light stand and changed the bulbs out for LED bulbs,attached it to my engraving stand and it is sooo nice with out the the heat of incandescent bulbs. It is nice and bright without being harsh.

Choppers_rule

Elite Cafe Member
Do you need one light on each side to avoid shadow/ for better view while engraving using an optivisor? My light source is only from the ceiling & would love to improve my vision while engraving. Thanks. Denny

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Sam, or anyone who owns one. Can you do a bit of a sales pitch to describe why Dazor lamps are worth more than cheaper ones, why I will love it over $20-30 alternatives?

Thank you very very much

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Maybe a more relevant question to me would be has anyone tried adding this or any other light to the ring light on a Leica A60F

I tried shining another light I have in my shed on the work piece and I couldn't see it's impact at all. Is the ring light just really good, maybe I don't need to add anything to this one?

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Maybe a more relevant question to me would be has anyone tried adding this or any other light to the ring light on a Leica A60F

I tried shining another light I have in my shed on the work piece and I couldn't see it's impact at all. Is the ring light just really good, maybe I don't need to add anything to this one?

ring light floods the object with light.. side light provide shadow to help describe depth to you

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member

Danae, I have the ring light that Tira Mitchell sells with her A-60 F. Can't remember the price but you can check her website. The ring light only helps me if using a transfer. When I'm drawing it stays off because you can't see the pencil marks. I have 3 led lights from lowes clipped to the microscope arm to provide light from the sides front / top. This way no matter how the work piece or I am positioned , I always have good light. About $30 total cost. I hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Sam is right............... here is the video proof [video]https://youtu.be/DapShQzMnas[/video]

Thank you Sam, great tip.

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ok. Please ignore my previous uncertainty and questions. The Wolf lamp is soooo much better than a cheap one. It is so bright it's astounding and you need that some times working on metal under the scope. I noticed that different lighting for different jobs is good. If I'm doing bulino on clean metal i found the ring light showed it up well, but if I put transfer wax down and drew a design i saw that much much better with even just one Wolf lamp and the ring light off all together. Thanks for the tip Sam. I'm loving my new lamp

Latest posts

Sponsors