The reason i use a ring light + a side light

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Here's why I use an LED side light in addition to a fluorescent ring light. My pencil layout is very difficult to see in the top photo because graphite reflects the light coming from directly above.

In the middle photo the pencil lines are much easier to see when I turn on my LED side light. Even more so than this photo depicts.

The sparkle of the cuts is very apparent in the last photo because of the light coming from the side.

My LED light of choice is the Kate Wolf EcoFlex by Dazor, available with 4 and 7 LEDs. And they're dimmable!

LED_side_light.jpg

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks, Sam. The nuances of light aren't always noticeable but definitely affect the outcome of one's work and the ease with which one executes it. That translates to less fatigue overall.

Sam

Staff member
Thanks, Sam. The nuances of light aren't always noticeable but definitely affect the outcome of one's work and the ease with which one executes it. That translates to less fatigue overall.

Very true. When the vise is turning is where you really see the difference that side lighting can make, especially with a pencil layout. While there might not appear to be a huge difference between the top and center photos, the difference quite dramatic during the cutting.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very interesting Sam. I too use a ring light and sidelights, although the sidelights are halogen, which gives a more harsh glow than I want. I may try LED's for a more user-friendly light source.

Bill

Sam

Staff member
Sam, does yours have 4 or 7 LEDs?

I have two of the 4 LED models and one 7 LED. The 4 LED models are sufficient, but I opted for the 7 LED since I have a greater working distance of 8" with my Zeiss scope.

Big-un: The halogens are hot and harsh (I hate 'em!). I think you'd really like a dimmable LED.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gotta get the LED's.....too much eye strain when working under harsh lights for any length of time.

Bill

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have the GRS LED ring light and when I'm working with pencil lines it's much easier to see them if I set it to just one segment on - basically a side light. I'll have to try adding an additional light.

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
I just bought a 144 LED ring light on ebay for 40 bucks plenty more to be had came out of New York Import from Hong Kong. Its has a dial to dim the light . I really like it .

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Here's why I use an LED side light in addition to a fluorescent ring light. My pencil layout is very difficult to see in the top photo because graphite reflects the light coming from directly above.

In the middle photo the pencil lines are much easier to see when I turn on my LED side light. Even more so than this photo depicts.

The sparkle of the cuts is very apparent in the last photo because of the light coming from the side.

My LED light of choice is the Kate Wolf EcoFlex by Dazor, available with 4 and 7 LEDs. And they're dimmable!

View attachment 28574

So what your saying is "Don use this lighting set-up and you will be able to cut clean lines just like me" right? ;)

Donny can't receive messages right now he is on eBay buying a hobby saving LIGHT!!!! :)

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
::::Pledge Member::::

View attachment 28574

Mr. Sam,

When I look at the first photo I can see your fingerprints and when I look at the second photo I can not see them,

Did you take those two photos from same angle and under same condition except second one additional led light.

Sorry for my English, you might not understand what I mean so I will ask it in different way,

Can you see the finger print if you turn ( side ) led light off and you can not see finger prints if you turn ( side ) led light on

Also, I have very simple desk light to study on my desk during nights and it has a white light but not led, will it give me the same result or shoul I buy a led light.

Best Regards

Sam

Staff member
Yes, same angle and same conditions.

Any side light will work. LED is good because it doesn't get hot.

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Yes, same angle and same conditions.

Any side light will work. LED is good because it doesn't get hot.

Thanks Mr. Sam,

Now I have a different question, what do you mean by '' it doesn't get hot ''

I know light will start to get hot after 1 or 2 hour but does it really effect the view ?

Latest posts

Sponsors