Looking for an engraver who would be interested to engrave ipad & iphone housings

bidilover

Hello

Please note: the plates would be not gold plated after all, if somebody was interested prior to seeing that they would've been gold plated...

I am not 100% sure if it is acceptable to post this here, but here it goes...

I am looking for a person who accepts comission work to engrave housings for ipad and iphone housings and would be able to do that on regular basis (1-2 housings per month for starters and later perhaps as many as the engraver's schedule allows) ... and if you are not sure that you could accept to regularly engrave them, you can anyway contact me if you could engrave at least a couple of housings...

The reason why I would need them engraved on regular basis is because I am starting a luxury electronics company which is not selling just electronics with chinese gold plated housings for 2-3k more than stock product, like 99 percent of the "luxury" electronics companies...

And I was thinking that maybe if I would find somebody who might be interested in this kind of co-operation I would sell also the top of the line models with hand engraving on them, which is basically the ultimate way to decorate this type of items, if you ask me...

Here is for example the first two designs where the engravings would be located, if needed i can measure the area needeed to be engraved in square inches or centimeters.... the one with ipad next to it is for ipad air and the other design would be for iphone...
The reason why they are designed as they are is that they are in similar shape casted polished steel plates that would be glued to the housing itself, but i have heard that gold plating might flake, but not necessarily so?
here are the designs and locations for the engravings:

_TÄÄ.jpg style.jpg

you can freely contact me via PM with any questions and possible quote per job.... thanks a ton

Last edited:

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
Amusing idea, why not, lol. One has to consider the thickness of the plate. You could even propose elaborate monogram. As for the cost difficult to know without trying.
Good luck

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
any type plating can cause a flaking problem. if the flaking occurs, it's very costly to fix the problem. please be aware that no engraver with any experience will do these plated pieces without forewarning you.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not a bad idea, Viljo did a iphone some time ago

arnaud

bidilover

How about engraving the plates BEFORE plating?

Hello,

thanks for responses... indeed that is Vilo's design which demonstrates where the engravings would be located... and impressive one indeed...

Thanks a lot for the tip about engraving first and plating afterwards, i just would have to figure out what would be thickness of gold plating that would not fill the engravings not wear out, since the plating would take a lot of stress....

So therefore anybody who might be interested to take a commission on this kinda stuff, the plates would not be gold plated after all, thanks to this great advice by Cloudy which i did not think of myself...

bidilover

Something to think about...... The ipad and iPhone are disposable items, any money spend on engraving would be lost to the recycling bin in a few years at best.

Yes that is a fact that they dont serve for many years as knifes or guns, but at least its used daily and these days phones and such are most important items for many...

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
A disposable item might not warrant such treatment, but a jeweler once told me that he'd had known of a plating process that wears like steel, and you'd need to grind it off which mandates engraving before plating. The gold solution is mixed with cobalt, and I understand Cadillac used this when putting trim on the outside of the vehicle. The solution is expensive, and you may want to check with someone familiar with this process, as to plating thickness, cost, and so on. I haven't verified this, but I see vehicles on the road from time to time with such trimwork. It's just a thought.

Olegraver

I think it may be hard to find someone who is willing to engrave the phone due to the risk of damaging the product, but it is neat to engrave one, the aluminum is easy, check out this video:

Latest posts

Sponsors