Lynton McKenzie engraved Ruger Blackhawk

Denny

Elite Cafe Member
I thought you might be interested in this McKenzie engraved Blackhawk. This is the older 3 screw model. Does anyone know how the new model Blackhawks engrave?

Attachments

• ruger pistol2.jpg
    ruger pistol2.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 299
  • rugerpistol.jpg
    rugerpistol.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 297

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's a beauty!

I'm currently working on one in Stainless. It's hard but not impossible. The metal cuts very similar to the Vaquero. I actually quite enjoy these guns, that is all but the loading gate.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like how he used the least amount of shading lines to acquire the desired effect.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
yes, you have a real keeper there-- or whomever may own it. one of my very favorite artists. this just makes me salivate !

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
I was trying to study his book (among others) and am amazed at what mental imagery he infers with just a couple lines. When I look at it the design looks like one thing, but when I try to draw it I feel like ..."Wait, where'd all those detail lines go that I saw..."

With that little amount of actual line, anything even a tad out of proportion or placement makes the design look like a mess. Frankly, it's even difficult to trace and have *that* look like anything. You'd think that for a beginner like me the simpler would be the better, but not in this case. For now, I've put his work away for later study.

Something like video, maybe. The brain fills in a great amount of the detail we think we think we see. Maybe the real genius in Mr. McKenzie's work is his ability to lead of the mind to see "realities" that are only implied or inferred, but do not actually exist.

All this from a newbie; I'll be quiet now. :)

PS -- Sam, just took a hand engraving class this last weekend from a past student of yours. In addition to her obvious engraving skills, she's a *phenomenal* instructor. You should be proud!

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lynton used economy of lines as opposed to hundreds of delicate shade cuts and the result was stunning.

It's the old chestnut "Sometimes less is more." I often see novices putting far too many shade lines into their work and it just looks a mess unless done really well which, if I'm honest, at the stage the vast majority are at it just isn't. For most, studying something like this would be far better. Lynton's scroll was always incredibly clean cut with great shaping to his scrolls. The economy of shading is a great balance between quality and being commercial (let's not forget he engraved for a living). I've always been an admirer of McKenzie's work.

It's also great to see his single point treatment of background.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I believe this is some of Lynton's pre-microscope work, and could have been done while he was at New Orleans Arms Co. His scroll changed a bit when he started using the microscope.

g.rohrbaugh

Elite Cafe Member
Lynton's work is a great study for anyone. I agree with Marcus, to many of us get into way to much detail and really isn't necessary in some cases as example of Lynton's Ruger. As a novice myself, lot of the times I'm trying to put more into it than needed. Sometimes keeping it simple is better, such as the case with the Ruger.

Gary

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Two of the things that I pay attention to with regard to this work is the treatment of the tendrils. Both the end, sometimes referred to as the "thumb" cut(s). and the underside of the tendril back toward the base of the tendril. It is fairly easy to recognize Lynton's work from just these two to five or six cuts. I only talked to him once and then it was evening after his work day was over. He did not like to be interrupted I have been told so I called later. We also exchanged letters and he critiqued my work a few times. Wish I had known him on a personal level. Remarkable man. There are a few others that are remarkable people who visit here. I am always inspired by what certain people say and don't say, what they show and how they encourage others to aspire.

Latest posts

Sponsors