Latest Restoration Remington Model 11 D-Grade

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Here is the latest restoration on a Remington Model 11 D-Grade. This Remington had left the factory in 1923. It did have some pitting, but not that bad. The bluing was stripped, we carefully hand polished it & will be slow rust blued. I have my other assistant working on the stock, stripping off the old finish & re-cutting the checkering.

Attachments

• restore.remington.dgrade.model11.jpg
    restore.remington.dgrade.model11.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 209
  • restore.remington.dgrade.model11.3..jpg
    restore.remington.dgrade.model11.3..jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 207
  • restore.remington.dgrade.model11.4..jpg
    restore.remington.dgrade.model11.4..jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 205
  • restore.remington.dgrade.model11.after.1.jpg
    restore.remington.dgrade.model11.after.1.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 207
  • restore.remington.dgrade.model11.after.2.jpg
    restore.remington.dgrade.model11.after.2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 206

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
I wish I could too Carlos, and I've been doing guns for 15 years!
Nothing like the colors Doctor Gaddy would get. He was a class act in browning and color case hardening. I've not seen his equal.

Dan

JJ Roberts

Roger,I looked but could not find anything as far as a signature or innitials. J.J.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger, Since you brought it up do you have any idea who the artist was? The work looks fairly recent, say since 80 or so. Has the look of air assist except perhaps the wavy line border. The wriggle cut is certainly deep for hand push in steel. You knew a lot of the engravers from back about that time frame on, do you have a guess. The style is simple yet very appealing. I don't think Asian but seems to have a lot of Scandinavian influence to me. I can't think of the term, towel painting perhaps is the term I am reaching for. How do you see it. Fred

JJ Roberts

Fred,This Remington was engraved in the custom shop in 1923,it was engraved using H&C.Maybe Roger can find who the engravers who were working at that time at Remington. J.J.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is definitely period factory engraving. I have images of several Remington shotguns of that era done by the same hand. I have surmised that the engraving was done by Joseph (Joe) Loy but have not been able to confirm it yet. I really admire the design work as it has a very good look with minimal work. That is something that many engravers miss today. In my opinion, much of the routine scrollwork today is overworked yet does not achieve any better visual impact than the work on those old Remingtons.

Below are some more examples:

Attachments

• 141D Peerless-L .jpg
    141D Peerless-L .jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 11-48 D Grade-L.jpg
    11-48 D Grade-L.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 14D Peerless-L.jpg
    14D Peerless-L.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 78

Latest posts