DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Wow! What a find!

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i find real bargains at a local scrapyard. but never quite this good. amazing story.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Reminds me of a friend that went to a yard sale in Palm Beach (no, it wasn't an estate sale, a YARD sale) and purchased this "old" gun from the man's widow for $150.00. The leather case was quite ragged, so she thought is was just the old gun he used a lot. Turned out it was a Purdey double with interchangeable barrels, engraved and gold inlaid. The gun was used but well cared for. He told me he just about broke his arm getting his wallet out of his pocket!

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I read, "thinking he could make a small profit by reselling the piece for its gold content", I immediately thought of those schnoids that found all the gold coins in California and the misery they brought upon themselves. Their mistake was when they bragged to the press about their "good fortune".

graniteguy52

Elite Cafe Member
On the news report the other day, they estimated the scrap dealer sold it for $30 million (after holding it with out being able to sell it for 10 years) - not exactly fact, but what they reported. Think Britain's tax collectors are looking into that?

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
Good friend of mine who buys and sells metals is a coin dealer as well. Truth be known that everything is smashed when it leaves him. His theory is that next person in line is only going to make melt profit on any item he buys.

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
[QUOTE
Big-Un, So how much would that gun be worth?

I think at the time it was around $25K! ]

I would certainly tell your friend not to brag about taking advantage of a woman like that. :), not something I would do,(take advantage that is), mtcw,

Richard.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That was thirty years ago, just a faded memory coming back to light after a mental jog. I believe he kept it for himself and his children, and he knew enough not to brag in certain circles. He told me about it because he was one of my first (and finest) clients and encouraged me beyond words in my quest to engrave. Funny, he was the typical image of what most people consider a "biker dude!" But was in actuality the nicest guy you would ever meet, plus he was an excellent scoutmaster. I had another person I worked with in construction, that, after learning I was trying very hard to learn engraving, invited me to view and photograph his extensive collection of engraved Colt SAA's. Unfortunately, he passed away a few months later and his widow relocated with the collection, and I couldn't find out where she went. Sorry for the long post, but this brought back some memories of a few dear friends.

Bill

Latest posts

Sponsors