How will you air travel with expensive cargo?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Now the the horror story of the stolen knives is over, how will you (or would you) travel with a similar cargo if you were attending a show somewhere?

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If it is in the US, I think I would ship it ahead and insure it against loss.I have done this previously without incident. There are incidents where I have placed things in my checked luggage, I get very nervous about TSA rifling through my stuff,because they are human and can fall to temptation just like anyone else.Fortunately nothing has come up missing for me yet.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
in this era of (supposedly) tight airline security, there is virtually NOTHING one can do to prevent TSA agents or airline employees* from rifling thru your stuff and sadly, virtually NOTHING you can do if there is a problem resulting from that. you can claim everything was pristine and there was X number of whatever in your suitcase, but you will likely get nowhere.

i'm with Silverchip- ship ahead to the hotel, a trusted friend or associate in the area, even perhaps some sort of bonded courier service? insure it and keep your fingers crossed. make similar arrangements to ship it back home.

someone in the other thread mentioned the possibility that Mike Donato's plane was delayed and that was the reason he wasn't standing at the foot of the baggage chute waiting for his case. if that ever happens to you, BE RESOURCEFUL. call a friend, family member, courier service, whoever, to collect your bag. it'll be a cheap $100-$200 to pay somebody you trust to drive out to the airport and snag your bag.

*a few years ago my mom was flying somewhere to play golf. when she got to her hotel she opened her golf bag and found a nice set of electrician's screwdrivers in a case. some clown must have been going thru bags and didn't get the right stuff back in the bag in came out of.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Unfortunately there is no BEST WAY to go about traveling with expensive show materials. In the many years I travelled from NY to our guild show in Reno i tried different combinations of things and always held my breath. One year i shipped everything via UPS to Reno and guess what? It got lost along the way. So I sat at the show with my hands in my pockets waiting for them to find everything and get it to me. Fortunately they did find it all and get it to me saturday afternoon. Great. But I did miss out on two days of showing what I had. Every time I take something on a plane with me I always hold my breath and hope for the best. What i did decide to finally do is not put all my eggs in one basket. I ship half of my things and I carry the other half on the plane with me. This way I always have at least somethig to show. Either way it stinks

rrupp

I hit the wrong key and my message disappeared I was relating that I had a folding knife I had engraved taken out of my luggage in Spokane and the empty sheath was left on top of my neatly folded clothing. TSA said I had a legitimate claim and have never heard from them again. Maybe the engraving I had done on it wasn't as bad as I thought.

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
So far I have not had anything missing from my bags when flying but try and take whatever I can with me on the plane an watch it like a hawk. I also try not to tell people exactly why I am flying when I am carrying a suitcase full of silver.
One time when I was flying from Dave's house (silverchip) back home I mixed up my boxes I had sorted...one to check that had gravers and such in the bottom and one with silver. I accidentally checked the box with silver in my bag and carried on the tools. They went thru the box with tools (I realized I screwed up as I was going thru security but it was to late) and didn't say a word about the gravers after I told them I was a silversmith. These were big flat hand push gravers that I am pretty sure could have caused some major damage. Whew....I was glad I didn't lose all my tools and am more careful now!

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
So far I have't had anything missing from my bags when flying, too.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Usually I fedex to the Hotel for a tradeshow.
I don't put my full name on anything I ship, just first initial and last name, that way, they cant google me from their cel phone as easily to see what may be in the package.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
I do as Marty does. Split it up. Insure it. See to it that it has to be signed for. (Preferably by someone you know and trust)

I enclose an inventory list and thumbnail images (loose and as it looks packed) with ALL my contact info. This is laid on top of the items, so it is the first thing viewed.

There is a duplicate envelope at the bottom of the case, and I carry one on my person.

My bags are common. Since they are black, I have sewn a black "ornamental" design to both sides. They are the only bags in existence with that design.

It is not obvious to the average person, but stands out to me.

And one small thing you can do that seems to help. Don't talk about what you do to strangers. Don't announce where you are going on *ssbook. No one needs to know your schedule other than close family and clients. (and even some of those talk too much)

I intend to look into the tracking devices if I do much more business travel. These days I try to get people to come to me whenever possible.

I also intend to look into the possibiliy of having the airline hold the luggage in the baggage office for signature in case me and the bags get separated... it would be worth paying extra for this service.

Brian

Last edited:

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I hadn't flown with firearms post 9/11 until recently. I was horrified. Prior to 9/11, I remember having to go to a special area to collect my guns. Every time recently, they have just popped out on the conveyor. The first time it happened, I was surprised. Each subsequent time I was really ticked off. The airline people even say, "that's not supposed to happen". Well it does. The baggage handlers are morons. They don't care. The best advice is to not travel alone. Have one person standing at the carousel waiting for the bags to pop out. And one monitoring the "special" bags claims area.

In the event of traveling alone, one thing I've done is to "hide" or conceal locked containers within regular suitcases. For pistols and knives its pretty easy. Long guns....well you're kinda out of luck here.

It was really nerve wracking traveling to Vegas with valuable items in January. I'm glad I had a travel companion to help. I think next year I'm going to try alternative methods than what I did this year. Traveling with a huge Pelican case made me feel like I was walking around with a big target on my back.

Marty's idea about dividing the items is excellent.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i mentioned this in the first post on the theft-- the zippered bags can be opened in 5 seconds and gone thru. goodies can be taken, then zipper reclosed. you'll not even know the bag was opened until you open it in your hotel room. this technique does no noticeable damage to bag or the zipper. doesn't matter if the zipper has a lock. something to keep in mind when packing valuables for travel.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For a number of reasons I prefer to drive wherever I go. Being able to take pretty much as much as I want and keep it under my control is just one of those reasons.

Someday I may have to fly commercial again, but so far nothing's come up that was worth it. Had a couple of trips that involved two solid (12+ hours) of driving each way, but so far nothing worth flying commercial.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
Anything of high value is shipped registered mail. The package has to be signed for every time it changes hands. Box and wrap it well, and the PO clerk will stamp it on every seal all the way around the box. It will be inspected by the next person to be sure it hasn't been opened or tampered with before they sign for it. We have never had a problem.

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Unfortunately, I think the key thing here was the knife seller who had his stock taken was 'targeted', so stopping intentional thefts like that is going to be a tough one. I also think it's going to become more and more popular, and maybe one of the next trends in crime. ie 'stolen' from the carousel, rather than airport staff pilfering your belongings!

I like the idea of trackers, although thieves will soon realise they need to ditch the bag asap.
I also agree with not telling strangers, or similar what you do. A difficult one, when you've just attended a knife show, chatting to hundreds of people, and you find yourself on the same flight home, as some show visitors.

It's a sad state, but as soon as you have someone who's prepared to do what it takes to 'get the goods', it's a difficult one to overcome. :(

Latest posts

Sponsors