Fly fishing scoop net

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi guys, I was on the flyfishing.co.uk forums a couple of months back and I found a thread on which net maker, Graeme Robertson, had posted pictures of his work.

Well, in this case I just couldn't help myself and contacted Graeme and asked him to make a net for me which he very kindly agreed to do. I asked him to inlay a hobo nickel that I carved especially for this net, into the handle. The little brass dot on the right of the hoop is an 11" marker - our club rules state any brown trout smaller than this has to be returned.

He very kindly sent me some pictures of the net today (I thought I'd share a couple with you) and I cannot wait to see it for real. The whole thing is his design and the laminated hoop/handle is completely hand made by him. I'm over the moon with the result and I'm sure you'll agree with me he's done a fantastic job. I can't wait to start using it next month!!!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Great idea, and beautiful work on both the net and coin, that net is sure a lot prettier than the one I take fly fishing.

silverchip, nice fish!!!!

Texasgerd

Elite Cafe Member
Very, very classy. I’ve just never had a need for a net.
The dynamite stuns them enough for me that they don’t flop around a whole lot.

Dan

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus,
Your post started me thinking I should be on my favorite stream in Colorado or north west Arkansas. I went back to my den and fly tying desk and rummaged around and found these. They are made of non traditional materials, however they do cause big trout to rise and gulp them in. April won't get here soon enough.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 154

lines

The net and the coin are fantastic. And seeing the fly tying has
Given me a hankering to tie flies again thanks.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have never been inflicted with the fly fishing disorder. many of my friends think i'm nuts, and are always trying to get me to a healing state. however, i respect those that have come down with this condition. my dentist will darn near abandon a full waiting room to go after trout. anyway, this net project is a great example of a useful item that's a piece of art above and beyond the utility value of the item thanks for showing, marcus.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Monk,
My grandfather infected me at a early age. I have been fighting it for 60 years and each year around the first day of spring it flares up something terrible. I thought I had it licked this year but Marcus posted this thread and I'm hooked a gain. :eek: :confused:

Sandy

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was infected in my mid 20's but, unlike Sandy, have only been fighting it for around 30 years.....where the heck did that time go????? A gunmaker friend of mine persuaded me to go fishing with him; he lent me his rod an low and behold I caught a fish! That was it, I caught the bug....I didn't catch anything for the next year but then something clicked and, bar a couple of years off because of neck and shoulder problems, I've been fishing ever since. I love it, and when the daily grind starts to get me down it is a seriously good way to recreate. You should give it a try sometime Monk.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
monk,You have some of the best trout streams in the U.S.in Pennsylvania, give it a try and fish the fly. J.J.

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Wow Marcus very gorgeous landing net ... Nice idea, I like it
I have one myself but my trouts are so tiny that I never used it in my trout streams.;)

Sandy , I use only nymphs with #18 hooks, your bugs are incredible :eek:

What about a bit of engraving in your fly-tying vise ?

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
well, marcus-- as a child i'd suffer beatings and thrashings for sneaking off with my pals to go fishing. i was addicted then.i became a diver in the us navy. after my stint in deep water, i only go fishing now to take my grandkids out for the joy. very relaxing to just be there-even without rod & reel.

Latest posts

Sponsors