Engraved jeweler's loupe

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very nice Sam. I'm Thinking welding a couple diamonds in yellow gold bezels on those screws. Aluminum welds very nicely.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Sam,
Your usual exceptional work! I was wondering if the clarity and brightness of the Schneider loupe justifies it's price?
Thanks,

Gordon: For me it does, but I'm an optics nerd. I don't do critical diamond grading or anything like that and use the loupe primarily for examining graver points, a piece of jewelry, etc. The Schneider is truly exceptional. It's fantastically sharp across the entire field of view and the multi-coated optics are very bright and contrasty.

Sam

Staff member
Very nice Sam. I'm Thinking welding a couple diamonds in yellow gold bezels on those screws. Aluminum welds very nicely.

Thanks Mike. That would look nice but if the screws needed tightening it might present a problem. There are nylon bushings on the closed end and the tension is adjusted by the screws. Eventually I'll find some slotted gun screws to fit.

Sam

Staff member
Sam,

Lovely work! I believe that is the first time I've seen you use the "black leaf" style of ornament. Your rendition is very reminiscent of that used on pre-WWII German sporting guns. In Austria and Germany that style is known as Altdeutscher Laubgravur (old German leaf engraving). I have also heard Suhl engravers call it "Wetzlaub." Your relief work reminds me of the Laubgravur I've seen on the highest grade of Charles Daley shotguns made by H. A. Lindner.

Cheers,
Roger

Thanks Roger. I've been on a Kornbrath kick lately! I've always loved his work and that was the main influence for what I did on the loupe. I used to hear the term "black leaf" but not many people use it any more. Nice to hear it again :thumbsup:

Sam

Staff member
Sam

Thanks for the reply, what led flashlight are you using, I'm going to order a set of his adapters.

What I meant on the final picture how to you give it that antique/painted kind of look.

thanks again

Carlos: I have lots of photoshop tools and some I've been working with lately are Topaz plugins. I believe I used Topaz Clarity which boosted the structure and reduced the saturation.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's another beauty Sam. The practice plate is just as nice and a wonderful design. I enjoy seeing the taps in the metal and not always smoothed off. Well done my friend.

davidshe

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful! Always a pleasure to view your work Sam. I also continue to find inspiration from your practice plates you let me take home after our session last year.

Best regards,
David

Andy

Elite Cafe Member
Great work as usual Sam. I followed that link to see the flashlight adaptors. Good grief! Is he charging $40 for a couple of pvc fittings painted black. That's what it looks like. I made some of those myself a while back. Took all of 10 minutes. :) I'd definitely pay for some training but the adaptors are a no brainer.

Sponsors