buffing is an art in itself

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Sorry to hear about your lady friend. Polishing sportsters and old Harley parts in general was a pain. Sometimes a buffer just screwed them up other times they glistened like a mirror. Casting and mix makeup in the aluminum varied from grainy with a darker glow to smooth bright and shiny. Did many by hand then moved to buffing tools. What Kurt said is so true, you need to learn to read the material and not take it for granted. I am no pro at buffing and get mixed results all the time. Be careful what you put a buffer to.

Eric

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A lot of jewelers prefer using a flexshaft for delicate buffing situations. They can control the speed with a variable speed foot pedal for greater control.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'd be pretty surprised if Colts or any other major firearms manufacturer selling any kind of volume is hand polishing their firearms. I could be completely wrong, but the labor costs alone for hand polishing a Colt would make the retail price of the gun 2-3x's what it currently goes for.

With proper technique and equipment, a mirror polish can be achieved while using mechanical polishing equipment.

The biggest problem people have with polishing using buffers and lapping machines, is not moving the piece enough. They try to polish out an imperfection but don't go it correctly. They drag out the problem by going over the same spot at the same direction over and over.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I found this video, it's a little monotone in some parts, but keep watching, someone had mentioned that Colt at one time used leather, he was right.

There are two videos part 1 and 2

All done by machine, no hand polishing.

American Rifleman Colt Factory Tour (photos)
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=4797605

American Rifleman Colt Factory Tour (photos)

By the way there's an interesting two-part factory tour video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eij9GxSaIYw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc6mIe8ZzB...... Saludos, Carlos

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Just had to chime in again, with a SAFETY mention, and some other stuff. There's a buffing wheel, called a KoolKut, I believe, that is pleated. It's very wrinkled at the outer surface, and is DANGEROUS to use unless you know what you're doing. The late Hugh Bartrug had such a wheel grab, and went down to the floor, point first, and into his foot sticking into the floor. Such a wheel runs cooler because of air flow, but the downside is that it tends to wrap itself around your work. You must maintain a certain angle of work. Schaffner, in Pittsburgh, has some 500 different formulas of compound, and I have many different one's, but not that many. All my buffs are in plastic bags, to avoid flying grit contamination, and I've used wood/leather wheels, rock hard felt bobs, and many others. . .too long to go into, herein. The Forum guys are correct, as it's more involved than you think it is. Give it a go, anyway, as that's the only way you're going to find out.

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
I just spent Easter Sunday in Hand Polishing Church on a 1911 from Colt, and I can tell you that they used beadblasting to hide a LOT of machine marks. I almost gave up on getting them all out of it, but patience is the name of the hand polishing game. Diliazteca, you will learn far more about hand polishing from the Japanese sword polishing book(which I own) than you might think. Its amazing how many diverse disciplines and arts are brought together by Amazon.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hand polishing is an art, I remember watching a dealer next to me at my local gun show polishing and repairing the blade's of Japanese Samurai swords,he had two dish's with water and small polishing stone's in different grit's and would carefully polishing by hand.If you go to the Blade show you'll find him there.Best forget about how they do there polishing at the gun company's and learn how to hand polish, stay away from the buffers and stay out of trouble. J.J.

Last edited:

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Whatever you do remember this lesson. Don't ever look at that gold chain around your neck and think to yourself, "I'll just give it a quick lick on the polishing wheel". You could easily wind up a finger short or with multiple stitches at the least. I watched a 30 year veteran almost take off a finger last year. Chains are a no no without proper training.
As for guns? Pay someone else. I know how to do it and I avoid it like the plague.
Layne

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Chains are "buffed" in a vibratory tumbler... or a rotary - if time isn't a factor.

Never with a polishing lathe or even a flexible shaft.

Not even using the "specially designed" wooden spools and planks the suppliers flog. (They are not the ones taking the risks)

Both have a long list of horror stories.

Simply drop them in a tumbler, set the timer and go make some real money.

Once again... use the right tool for the job.

B.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors