Question: The heel

lines

I just bought the grs stone setter set of gravers. I will also be using them for cutting lines and decorative cutting . Should I put a heel on them? Would this be a disadvantage when I use them for stone setting? I am totally new to the use of engraving. I have only set stones flush and tube set.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Kida like asking how long is a piece of string... it will depend on what kind of stone setting - the angles you need to get into to raise beads or bright cut between the stones - and the shape of the graver blank you are starting with.

You need to be a bit more specific. What size stones, is the setting to be done on a ring, bracelet or flat? Which style of setting? Do you intend to work with the stones in place or precut as much as possible?

You might also add your planetary locale to your profile. Sometimes you will find somone who already does what you want to learn is within shouting distance...

Brian

Last edited:

lines

These are the gravers I am asking about Onglette: 2/0, 0, 1 Flat: 37, 40, 42 Round: 50, 51, 52, 53 Knife: K1, K2 I'll be setting 2 to 6mm stones. I will be pave setting the stones
I have seen in the tip section here that a heel is needed.
To stop the graver from just digging in to deep and getting stuck.
Is this heel needed for all gravers to work properly?

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
If you are setting into a relatively tight curved surface like a ring, I normally get by with no heel.

The larger stones may require a slight heel on the flats if you are bright cutting around them.

I do use a slight heel when setting into flat surfaces.

Your mileage may vary... every stone setter acquires personal preferences with experience.

There are some very good free videos on youtube, and I believe a couple of the better European or European trained setters offer some for sale.

They are magnified enough so that you can see what they prefer to use.

Brian

You might also consider getting a set or two of right and left hand onglettes? I use them quite often...

NY state should have plenty of good setters around. Ask for help. Offer something they might want in trade. Simple sweat works. They won't ALL refuse you.

Last edited:

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
I managed to set for 20+ years without heels. Only recently( past few years) I've used lyndsay templates..so added a heel to the flats.
It's what you get used to, not a necessity.
All you do need is sharp polished tools & the ability to control them to cut what you want..not the tool taking the initiative :)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if you get to cutting scroll or small, tight curves a small heel is desirable. the short heel prevents scarring the edge of the curve. bottom relief grinds also are of value in that instance on square gravers

lines

thanks guys this will help me save so much time wondering how I should set up my cutters.
Back to the bench pushing away.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
one thing to do, carefully label your gravers- face angle, heel angle if any, etc. you'll find a bit of difference in the feel of each graver and how it cuts.

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
one thing to do, carefully label your gravers- face angle, heel angle if any, etc. you'll find a bit of difference in the feel of each graver and how it cuts.

Monk,
It is a very important thing (labeling), thanks for your input

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is the way I label my gravers, bought te colored rings in the kids toy shop, don't know how they are called.
For every angle another color, works great.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Sponsors