CSM Oakleaf & Acorn with Bobwhite Quail

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks folks!
Steve: I don't know about that… I've seen some beautiful sculpting done with air tooling. Sam Alfano, Ken Hunt, Phil Coggin, etc,etc come to mind (my apologies if I've left someone out). On extra hard steel I think the hammer would be an asset though!

Weldon

Oh definitely!

I just think this might be a case where H&C is actually a bit easier than air assist.

Sort of like if you're doing repair / recreation work where you want the progress marks to show you can adjust an air assisted system to give you the progress marks, or you can use H&C which is what made them in the first place.

From hanging out here in the forums I've come to believe that someone with determination and talent can do just about anything. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that work like this could be done via hand pushing. I'd be flabbergasted to learn that someone did more than a tiny demonstration piece like this via hand push, but not surprised that it could be done... eventually.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Oh definitely!

I just think this might be a case where H&C is actually a bit easier than air assist.

Sort of like if you're doing repair / recreation work where you want the progress marks to show you can adjust an air assisted system to give you the progress marks, or you can use H&C which is what made them in the first place.

From hanging out here in the forums I've come to believe that someone with determination and talent can do just about anything. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that work like this could be done via hand pushing. I'd be flabbergasted to learn that someone did more than a tiny demonstration piece like this via hand push, but not surprised that it could be done... eventually.

Steve,

Back in the early '80s I worked in an award manufacturing facility. I supervised the machine engravers and did the usual hand work but there were two die sinkers who blanked out all of the dies with Gorton pantographs then did all of the contouring and sculpting with push gravers. They did some beautiful work but neither had ever used the H&C technique or punches. Keep in mind that these dies were in the soft state then hardened later.

Roger

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A pic of the little CSM Model 21 with his mate, a Winchester Model 21, 12 ga. I did the 12 a number of years ago & the new gun was done to match (stylistically, not exactly). Obviously, its not an exact duplicate...I had the liberty to deviate from the original when desired.

Attachments

• IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 49