music or not?

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Engravers all,
How many of us listen to music when engraving , stone setting, or scriming?
I like classical (Bach or Mozart) or sometimes rock & roll, depends on my mood & the article I have to cut.
Or, do you find music / or other noise distracting?
Kent

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Funny you should mention this. I guess you could say I'm an old hippie so most of the time it's classic rock and roll for me. Usually just a radio station but I've been thinking about getting XM for a diversion. When I do the Goodyear Gold Car Award and put in 20+ hour days, toward the end I find I must pull out the renforcements to keep me going. I have a CD with AC/DC greatest hits...... Yes.. it may not work for all but it works for me.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Well, I'm a bluegrass lover myself, but I also listen to talk radio when working.

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
By all means: it's classical music all the way. The cutting matches the tempo!

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Books on tape for long jobs, where I don't get up.
Movie music sound tracks that I repeat listening to on a constant loop.
So I don't concentrate on the music, just the engraving.
This is for short jobs, where I'm in and out of the shop.
My favorite is the sound track form "Blade Runner".

Last edited:

Norm

I always have music playing when I'm engraving, but honestly must say that, I typically I seem to tune it out. I think the right side of my brain handles music the same way it handles time when I'm engraving.......All of a sudden it's midnight?!?!?!

Guitars, fiddles and banjos

I listen to all of this all the time in my shop from Sirious Radio. Someone ask me once how I got such a finish on the swedges of the multiblades that I make. Myself having a mountain Irish sense of humor in me I answered,"you have to hold your mouth just right and be listening to some mountain music in the back ground, later I helped him with this task.

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's talk radio or country music most of the time for me. I listen to Byzantine chant if I really have to concentrate.:) I took an old pair of computer speakers that were not in use and put them in my shop so I could hook up my ipod. It works great because I have all my music at the touch of a button.

msar24

Classic Rock. I can't sing (or dance) but I do find myself singing along with the radio. Luckily no one else is around. Even the dogs stay out.

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
I always have music going if I'm engraving or riflebuilding. I engrave in the basement so I have the stereo on, everything from Frank Zappa, Devo and Pink Floyd to Strauss, Bach and Tchicovski to Wilf Carter, Johnny Cash and Lorretta Lynn to Englebert Humperdink and Tom Jones. Basically, if it aint rap, I've got it. I even have Yma Sumac and Nana Mouskori. When building guns, I have to listen to the radio 'cus my shop is in the garage. Fortunately we have a station that plays everything imaginable. If any of you are somewhat eclectic, you can find it at ckua.com.

Cody

Norm

CKUA is an Edmonton Radio Station which started on the University of Alberta Campus years ago.....it is a charitable organization here in Alberta....It is a great station. They do have a great mix of music....check out the Friday Night Blues Party on friday evenings from 9pm-12(MST)

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It depends on what mood I'm in.

I like Bluegrass (yes Sam my banjo has dust on it, sorry). I also listen to gospel, celtic, and rockabilly. I also often put a dvd in the computer and listen to a good movie. Movies full of good one liners are fun to engrave to. There are movies that I can quote dialog from but could not tell you what the people in them look like.

Ray

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Great thread, Kent!
Like a lot of you, my music choice depends on the job.
Sometimes swing, big band WW2; soft rock, country, opera or classic.
But Roy Orbison's Black and White Night really lights my fire anytime.
Can't wait until Sam and Abigail can find time to add some of their music to the Cafe.
Abigail has the voice of an angel.
I would love to hear her do "let this be my prayer" if she knows it.
Hint, hint.
John B.

Last edited:

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I guess I'm the only one that listens to TV news:confused: When I listen to music though it's usually classic rock Beatles, Grateful Dead, Crosby Stills and Nash and more, but I love acoustic stuff blue grass, rock, folk, blues.
Mike

Abigail

Administrator
Thank You John!

Great thread, Kent!
Like a lot of you, my music choice depends on the job.
Sometimes swing, big band WW2; soft rock, country, opera or classic.
But Roy Orbison's Black and White Night really lights my fire anytime.
Can't wait until Sam and Abigail can find time to add some of their music to the Cafe.
Abigail has the voice of an angel.
I would love to hear her do "let this be my prayer" if she knows it.
Hint, hint.
John B.

Hi John,
Thank you for the nice compliment! Who sings "Let this be my prayer"? Maybe if I can find it.....I'll try to learn it.
We're supposed to be getting a DVD soon of the performance at the Abita Springs Opry. If it is half-way decent, maybe we will share!
Thank you again,
Abigail

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My tastes are totally eclectic and I play whatever for the mood I'm in at the particular moment. I don't get on well with this hip hoppy rap punk stuff though.....Just give me some Black Sabbath when the mood strikes and I'm away! At other times gentle folk or raunchy country get my vote.

Rock on !!!:cool:

Marcus

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a CD changer in my shop that holds 200 of em'. There's all kinds of Bluegrass, live "New Acoustic", Andrews sisters, McGuire sisters, Billie Holiday, Marty Robbins, Brent Mason, Live recordings of Stuart Duncan, Mike Compton and Jerry Clower in there.

That don't scratch the surface, but there dang sure ain't a note of rap in any of it though.

I never thought of movies or soundtracks, that is a neat idea. Variety is the ****e of life.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
In my shop my constant companion is the TV. History, Discovery and Texas Hold’m shows. My wife says if she ever turned the TV off I would probably have a heart attach.

Sponsors