Chasing Hammer suggestions

Brant

Elite Cafe Member
I'm just getting started and want to try my hand at Hammer/Chisel engraving.

What would the Pros that work this way suggest I buy, I am not opposed to spending for a good tool, I know the value in quality tools.

Thanks in advance,

Brant

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Brant,GRS has two nice chasing hammers in there catalog,I think Sam designed them. J.J.

Brant

Elite Cafe Member
Got Hammered

Thanks for the tips, I just ordered the GRS set. Rio has them cheaper than Glendo!

Brant

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
When you get your hammers you will want to shave the handles a little thinner. You want a bit of spring in the handle. As they come from the factory they are too thicik and stiff. I found this to be true even of the handle I bought in Brescia. The head was much lighter than anything on the market here, and I needed to shave the handle down appropriate to the light weight of the head.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brant,

Since you are a self proclaimed "newby", I should mention that there are two basic styles of using H&C and the hammers used in each are different. The hammers I pictured and Mike Fennell's comments above are for the "European" or "side hand" method of engraving. The "Asian" style, as taught by Neil Hartleip, Benno Huene, and John Shippers, uses a much shorter and stiff handle. For an explanation of the styles go to the following links in the glossary.
European: http://www.engravingglossary.com/Hand Engraving Glossary E.htm
Asian: http://www.engravingglossary.com/Hand Engraving Glossary A.htm

RB

JJ Roberts

Brant,You'll find the European method is better then the Asian method and if you mount your vise to a pedestal and stand while engraving you'll have the freedom to move around and cut scroll in one pass with no wasted motion,sitting at a stationary vise to long will give you back problems.Welcome to the Cafe keep us posted. J.J.

Brant

Elite Cafe Member
Roger, I have gone through the glossary a few weeks back and that lead me in the European-style direction. Thanks.

JJ and Mike, thanks for the tips.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Brant

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I have a small collection of chasing hammers from the US and Europe, and some have thin, springy handles while others have stiffer handles. Lynton produced some of the worlds most beautiful engraving with a short hammer with a slightly tapered handle with no swell at the bottom, while many (most?) Europeans use a longer handle with a swell. Obviously it's what you get used to.

SamW

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Looking at the photo Roger posted...the bottom hammer...Joe Rundel uses a wooden "hammer" with a ball on each end like the bottom handle in the photo. The head end is wrapped in electrician tape. Joe sent one to me and it is a good hammer I use often. Eliminates the guessing if the hammer face is pointed in the right direction, has good balance and a soft "hit". I like it!

Latest posts

Sponsors