How to ruin guns with a rotary tool and call yourself a Master while ruining them

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I use a rotary tool for background removal in relief engraving. I also caution students about this because you need to be pretty proficient with it before you start using it on expensive articles like guns. It does make the job faster and easier but with increased risk if you're not experienced with it. After burring I use gravers to clean up edges.

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Not wishing to add fuel to the fire but the word engraving as in oxford dictionary as follows
noun
1 etching, print, impression, block, plate, dry point, cut, woodcut, linocut, vignette
2 etching, inscribing, inscription, CUTTING, incising, incision, chiselling, chasing, scoring, notching, imprinting, impressing

I new a gent in australia who was a master engraver now dead sorry to say not only did hand push but also rotory and his rotory work was something to behold nearly as good as pushed but then he was the exceptance to the rule I only wish I had some of his work to show its was truely stunning.
As for the person in question he has some talent and if people wish to part with their money knowing what they will get so be it But I will say that it doesn't help the classic hand engraver or the education of those seeking quality work, but then I couldn't bring myself to put any firearm in the hands of a rotory tool practitioner.
To each there own ????
Ray

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I bet the customer designed this one. Although the work is very nicely done, it's about as gaudy as it could possibly get. But, that being said... if the customer has that kind of money to spend... it's our duty to help them spend it I guess. It could almost give a person nightmares. (Maybe that's what it should be named because of that horse grip.)

JJ, here is one. :cool:
And I have seem much more of other goldsmith, I even have seen bullets with stone setting on it that had ballistic perfect proof.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
JJ, can we stay on topic, I didn't ask to critique this gun I'm showing. You only saw one you said, here is another one with diamonds set you asked for.
Not let us trow mud at each other, I just wanted to show there is much more when thinking outside the box.

This topic is about using a rotary tool on guns, and that it can ruin a gun.
I think we all agree that there are more more guns ruined by a graver than by the use of a rotary tool

arnaud

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
I think we all agree that there are more more guns ruined by a graver than by the use of a rotary tool

How right you are Arnaud many a good gun has gone that way.
I would imagine there maybe a few glass house dwellers even lurking around the forum as well who regret engraving a gun at some time :thinking:
Ray

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Don't go blaming the tools :)

You only have to look at an ultra fragile & complex wax design being "carved" by rotary burr machines to see the problem is human.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Sponsors